What brand would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iain/hsm asked why limit our choices. The answer is simply that while searching the internet for a supplier here in Canada those were the three brands for which I found Canadian representation.
Our use is not heavy and very low during the winter months, but during our training season we fill 25-30 tanks at a time, hence the 18+cfm requirement. As for what we are currently using, lets give you a summerized history of us. The Dolphin Aquatic Club just celebrated our 50th anniversary this year and have been advised by The Ontario Underwater Council that we are listed as one of, if not the, oldest dive club in Canada, and the largest non retail training club in Canada. We started as a military training club with originating members being involved in the formation of ACUC and The Ontario Underwater Council. As for our starionary compressor, when our local military base closed, it was handed down for the clubs continued use. Originally salvaged off a WWII submarine, our now 75+ year old Worthington 18cfm compressor, and home made, manually repacked, filtration system has served us extreemly well over the last 50 years. As for the number of hours, they can only be guessed at. It is unknown when the hour meter was installed, however we do know it was not at the time of the rebuild, so the numbers (that I do not have in front of me) only have significance for regular maintenance. Air quality tests still come back clean, however, dropping oil and air pressure, an intermittent squeeling noise, and the complicated task of manually repacking the filter unit have prompted us to finally set our goals to something a little more modern. Being a not for profit club we must carefully choose how to spend this type of money. Fundraising when you are not a charity is tough so we don't want to have to try to raise this kind of cash again. The Worthington has been an excellent compressor, and it's replacement is going to need to be a good balance between value and reliability.
I think of all this, when it comes to what brands we should be looking at, the only point I see relevent would be the the 18+ cfm requirement.

A new compressor is going to be a spendy compressor ... no matter which company you go with. The ColtriSub MCH30 is going to run about $18,500 and I haven't gotten the latest Bauer price list but I know it is going to be a lot more.

Have you looked at fire stations around you? A LOT of them are upgrading to higher pressure machines and are selling their stuff for a song.

Just an idea.

Wow, thanks for that copy David, I would never have found it and it made very interesting reading.

It seems the issue is that trying to keep the cost down, the machine has been a bit underbuilt, certainly this is not a good omen for the line even if its apparently confined to the small machines.

I think I will certainly be a bit more inclined to a Bauer after reading this.

18.5k??? For recreactional use, you can get a system for a lot less.

I got a used Bauer II for 1200 and have got it set up for about 2K. Used compressor are going for quite a bit more these days because so many shops are going belly up from internet sales, but you can get setup for 3K.

You really need to dive on a regular basis to justify buying one though.

Dave

Dave, here is a recreaction to your last; the OP is looking for an 18 cfm for a large dive club. Fortunately, big pumps are easier to find at a reasonable price than the small, individual type units which everybody else is after.

Dave, here is a recreaction to your last; the OP is looking for an 18 cfm for a large dive club. Fortunately, big pumps are easier to find at a reasonable price than the small, individual type units which everybody else is after.

Yes, I missed the 18cfm requirement.

I wonder if they could get by with a little bit smaller pump and some storage bottles. You are right about the bigger pumps being a better deal.

I have seen some steals on 10+ cfm units on the internet, and I'm a queer for a good deal, but I couldn't justify a compressor that big (ie. my wife would kill me).

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom