What BP/W for a petite diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The STA is a great addition to the BP\W system, specially the weighted STA (like Halcyon or Light Monkey) in cold water in the PNW as it trims really nicely and moves 6lbs from trim pockets or weight system to the center of your back.

The STA is a great addition to the BP\W system, specially the weighted STA (like Halcyon or Light Monkey) in cold water in the PNW as it trims really nicely and moves 6lbs from trim pockets or weight system to the center of your back.

Can you attach a picture with the STA for me....not having seen one before....

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------

BPW's are actually easier to doff and don underwater than most jacket bcd's. They don't flop around, they don't have buckles and unnecessary straps and buckles getting twisted and tangled.

Another solid reason to get a bpw!!

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 10:34 AM ----------

As you said later, the Halcyon Eclipse needs the STA. That's where the camband slots are to attach the tank.

The Halcyon STA is 7/8 of an inch. Slightly further back actually helps petite women so that the valve doesn't hit our head, and the STA keeps the tank perfectly stable. It's also a great place for the weight in the STA and trims out nicely.

If I mounted my tank to my bcd and wasn't paying close attention, my head would touch the back of my first stage and that really ticked me off...

If I mounted my tank to my bcd and wasn't paying close attention, my head would touch the back of my first stage and that really ticked me off...

Me too. If I didn't place the tank at exactly the right height, the valve would push my mask strap off my head and/or give me a goose bump on the back of my head, but I'm quite a bit shorter than you.

Here is a link to a pic of an STA if you scroll down toward the bottom, "Weighted Single Tank Adapter". You will see the steel casing (STA) on the right side with the cam bands (tank straps) in it. To the left, you will see the black bar that is the 6 lb weight that you can put into the STA or take out, depending on whether you need the 6 lbs. STA's of other brands are pretty similar.

The STA attaches to the bp and then the wing is on the other side.

BC System Weighting | Halcyon

Ayisha;7307026 [URL="http://www.halcyon.net/?q=node/7":
BC System Weighting | Halcyon[/URL]

Gosh I have no problem with that at all! It's all about personal choice for me, thanks for the link!

Can you attach a picture with the STA for me....not having seen one before....

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 10:30 AM ----------
here you go - the STA mounted on my Halcyon rig and another one of the left side to see what it looks like
WP_20150104_006 (640x432).jpg

+1 for the DSS plate, one of my dive buddies (mother) is about 4'11'' and uses a DSS

to the OP, can you please update the post, was it DSS or Halcyon at the end? how was the GUE ?

It was Halcyon, and the decisive factor was the extra padding for my twice surgeries shoulder. GUE is still in my future!

so, what is your impression now that you went with Halcyon? have you at least tried the DSS?

i have a problem with the tank, keeps banging my head, to the point were sometimes i feel like I'm bleeding!! made a post about it in " dive rite ". so, I'm thinking about buying Halcyon or DSS and maybe go GUE/UTD, most likey GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom