What BP/W for a petite diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm back at the research table again tonight. I found out that the hogarthian strap system may not be the best choice for me because it doesn't freely move compared to Halcyons "Quick Cinch." I need those straps to slide and glide easily over my shoulder. It was mentioned to me that I may have a rotator cuff issue but I will not have any more surgery, I just need to make smart decisions. So the harness issue has me looking at the Halcyon now.....

DSS has a similar system they call Glide to loosen one of the straps. However, there are a number of comfort harnesses that you can consider inidpendently of the backplate itself.

What he said. The quick cinch system works well but it is really only needed if you are changing exposure protection very regularly or if you are sharing the bc with someone. If the harness is fit properly, you should be able to get a fist under the shoulder straps and in that case, when you set the tank down and the tension is released you can push the strap off of one shoulder. No chicken wing action there. You push it off over your good shoulder first, then just turn out of the rig and your good shoulder doesn't need to move. Some people put one quick release on the left shoulder and if you are doing a lot of really choppy ocean diving I prefer to have one on there, but I don't believe it is allowed for GUE classes, whole one rig to rule them all rule.

DSS Glide works very well but can only be used on the stainless plates, so keep that in mind, but you shouldn't have to use it.

DSS has a similar system they call Glide to loosen one of the straps. However, there are a number of comfort harnesses that you can consider inidpendently of the backplate itself.

Thankyou, I found the part and video on their website. I originally didn't find it as it wasn't listed under "harness." I see how it releases on the right side, that's good. In GUE do we do wing removal drills? I'm assuming so, but I need ease of donning and doffing underwater too. That jacket bcd didn't cut it unless I was in a wetsuit.

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 09:57 AM ----------

....can only be used on the stainless steel plates...

I will definately be using SS...

Also there's a simple quick release from UTD, I use it on my rental sets. Cheap and easy. Great for hogarthian rigs.

In GUE do we do wing removal drills? I'm assuming so, but I need ease of donning and doffing underwater too. That jacket bcd didn't cut it unless I was in a wetsuit.

On the first day of the GUE Primer or Fundamentals, or before that if possible with your instructor, you'll go through all your equipment with the instructor, putting it on, checking it in many different ways for fit, making adjustments, and taking it off. They will likely have your crotch strap tight, but the shoulder straps are not tight. They're slightly loose for ease of getting in and out, but not to the point of falling off. You don't have to be a contortionist to get into or out of a bp/w.

I have the Halcyon Infinity which is the cinch system. It could work well for you, but it may not be necessary if you don't keep your straps too tight.

Firstly, thanks again so much for your help...it's really appreciated!!!

I met with a tek diver today who also owns a shop about 40 minutes drive from my hometown. He showed me his rig and we talked about pros and cons of DSS and Halcyon. He has opinions on both, but I'm still undecided on DSS or Halcyon. The "Glide" adapter that DSS has definately helps even out the playing field. I tried on his BPW today, of course it isn't fitted for me, but I could feel how the bolts on the plate don't touch the drsyuit..that's a relief-- and he showed me his drysuit. The Halcyon Infinity quick glide straps still appeal to me. I know that I'll be doing drills with GUE to don and doff the gear, and I shoukd always be comfortable with this skill. The DSS seems like it would be less bulky, or am I over thinking that point? I called Tobin today but he was welding! Nice to know the owner is that invested!!

---------- Post added December 30th, 2014 at 08:30 PM ----------

On the first day of the GUE Primer or Fundamentals, or before that if possible with your instructor, you'll go through all your equipment with the instructor, putting it on, checking it in many different ways for fit, making adjustments, and taking it off. They will likely have your crotch strap tight, but the shoulder straps are not tight. They're slightly loose for ease of getting in and out, but not to the point of falling off.

I'm trying to get as much as possible GUE compliant before I see my instructor--in fact I want to have at least 20 dives on it before we meet. I'm that over prepared student. I have the GUE equipment list so I'm referencing that too, as well as my GUE friend who's been a wonderful resource and friend. Then there are all of you...:D

In GUE do we do wing removal drills? I'm assuming so...

???

What kind of GUE class are you planning to take? I'm not an expert in GUE, but I'm not aware of any remove and replace outside of Open Water and Instructor training - I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that is not in Fundies, Tec or Cave...

I haven't had to don or doff in fundies, doc diver, or rec 3, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom