What Bill Gates is afraid of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He has excellent PR. If you would like a view of his darker side, open a thread in the Pub, where there is greater latitude to present concepts that are more political in nature, & I will be happy to take you as far down that rabbit hole as you would like to go.
He was not the nicest guy. I met a guy who worked for Microsoft back when they were in Albuquerque. Presenting to him when the company was smaller and he kept track of everything wasn't a walk in the park. Was he ruthless? Absolutely. Was he arrogant? Oh yeah, I laughed in the late 90s when the DOJ was after Microsoft. When the DOJ went after Intel for far more egregious behavior and negotiated right away, Microsoft then said "oh we want to negotiate too". It was too late.

I'm happy to take this to PM. While I don't have access to longtime MS veterans like I used to, I do believe Melinda did change his perspective. He's spending his fortunate on his various projects, not trying to make more money.

uh no. There are security holes being found all the time for different OSes. I have to update my Linux box frequently for the same reason.

Look up Polyverse and see the problems they are trying to solve.

Microsoft/Linus Torvalds/Tim Cook don’t care about your computer if it isn’t connected to the internet. They do care if it is in case it gets hijacked and used to stage an attack.
My OS familiarity goes back to the early days of Unix, it's predecessor Multix, & concurrent systems like Pr1mos & Wambats. I'm an old school code monkey that cut his teeth on Fortran before DOS was a thing. I'm pretty well aware of system vulnerabilities. If you dig down deep enough into Windows (which actually runs in a Unix shell) you will find a number of disturbing details, from it's built in spyware to it's multitude of back doors. The consumer versions are especially atrocious. The enterprise level software is not as bad, but still is not what I would consider good.

I have 2 systems that see zero internet access. Microsoft intervention is the reason why, not "in the wild" attacks. I had over $20k worth of software on one programming laptop that a Windows 10 update turned into a brick while I was on a job site. At that time I used my programming computer also for email. I now carry a disposable laptop just for email. My good computers are isolated from Microsoft access. After a second computer got bricked by a Microsoft update, I started changing back to other OS platforms. I also do not allow any computer with proprietary company information to be on the net for the same reason, concerns over OS compromise.

lithium is your friend :D
I don't know which drugs are your friends, but I am not friendly with any of them. I avoid them like most people now try to avoid the covid issue.

How many people die as a result of drug abuse every year?

People are Lemmings.

Time would be better spent determining the cause of this virus, good luck with that given where it started and the current state of the “WHO.”
Just for fun, have a quick look at who funds the WHO. Don't just look up the assessed contributions from member states, of which the US is the largest. also look up the
"voluntary contributions (other funds provided by member states, plus contributions from private organizations and individuals)."

If you dig down deep enough into Windows (which actually runs in a Unix shell) you will find a number of disturbing details, from it's built in spyware to it's multitude of back doors.

Having need an SDE FTE at Microsoft that worked in the kernel, your statement isn't true at all. I also worked on Bitlocker for Windows Vista. There are no backdoors intentionally introduced. There are vulnerabilities as there are in all OSes. I worked with one of the architects that was one of the few people who understood every part of the Windows operating system. Do you have source code that supports your position? Source code did get leaked some years ago.

When I worked on Bitlocker, we had a guy from the NSA and another from GHCQ to ensure there were no backdoors. The FBI did meet with the Product Unit Manager and requested a back door. He said no, and was backed by the Senior VP in Windows who ultimately pushed him out of the company when Sinofsky took over from Valentine.

Just for fun, have a quick look at who funds the WHO.

I stopped listening to the WHO after Pete Townsend's brush with pedophilia

And I think you're getting confused in your old age, Windows does NOT run on a unix shell, the NT kernel's based on Dave Cutler's VMS. I think you're mixing it up with OSX.

Sounds like it's time for your ovaltine and bed

My OS familiarity goes back to the early days of Unix, it's predecessor Multix, & concurrent systems like Pr1mos & Wambats. I'm an old school code monkey that cut his teeth on Fortran before DOS was a thing.

fyi, if you were THAT good a code monkey you'd have been able to work this out:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

I disable Windows updates because I get pissed off with having to wait for them to install when it's not a convenient time, and that took me about 20 seconds of googling to work out when I set my first Win10 machine up.

I stopped listening to the WHO after Pete Townsend's brush with pedophilia

And I think you're getting confused in your old age, Windows does NOT run on a unix shell, the NT kernel's based on Dave Cutler's VMS. I think you're mixing it up with OSX.

Sounds like it's time for your ovaltine and bed
The hint is VMS. Now add the next letter in the alphabet to each of the 3.

And you get WNT. Windows NT, which was originally Windows New Technology.

The hint is VMS. Now add the next letter in the alphabet to each of the 3.

And you get WNT.

lmao not sure if you're pulling my leg there, but god I miss NT. Best OS ever, if they'd given us USB support I'd never have moved to 2000.

Back
Top Bottom