What are your favorite shore dives in/around Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dan,

I'm excited to check those sites out! Maybe I'll see you there!

Cheers,
Megan

Shore? Sand? Lugging gear? UGH. And the diving isn't as good (ever
notice that boats aren't anchored just offshore?)

Get a boat. Or pay for a boat ride. It's that much better offshore. And you
can go even when the surf's up a bit.

The Cypress Sea frequents all of the spots that I mentioned. When it's calm and they head south you can see them in the same kelp beds that you'd be shore diving.

I totally agree with the lugging gear though. :wink:

Hi OpenHelix:

North Monastery Beach & Coral Street. Both have such a beautiful landscape, MN of course is far more diverse since you can get quite deep very quickly.

However, I would love to revisit the waters around Garrapata State Park. However, I'm never going to scale those cliffs in full scuba gear again.

Claude

Anyone volunteering to be a guide to the more guerilla spots? :D

I do mostly shore diving being a "starving student" and all.

Anyway, my fondest memory is still my one dive on the south side of Monastery. That area is so lush with life, it's amazing. I also remember the 200 yards of kelp crawling because I burned up all my air on the dive and needed what was left for the legendary Monastery crawling exit. :shakehead:

The other dive I really like if Monastery is inaccessible or am with a new buddy is what I describe as the "research buoy" at Lover's. If you look out from inner Lover's, there are sometimes (wasn't there in March or May of this year, but may be there now) some research buoys near the end of the path in the kelp (if you've been to Inner Lover's you'll know what I'm talking about) on the west side. If the buoy isn't there you just need to pick a spot with a nice patch of kelp, under which will be a nice pinnacle to explore. It makes for a solid a dive, for sure! I've never been disappointed.

The Cannery pipe is also a solid dive.

Another site I've heard great things about but never done them myself is Lobos, which a tons of others have mentioned.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom