What are your favorite shore dives in/around Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hoping to take some time off this summer and explore a few shore sites I haven't made it to before. So, what's your favorite shore dive site?

The easy answer is Point Lobos and probably takes my top spot. What about copper roof house and butterfly house? Monastery?

Please include why it's your favorite. hehe, you're helping me plan my summer :popcorn:

Thanks!

North Monastery (when the surf allows it, of course). It's a slog through the sand, but way worth it.

And Lobos. If you're lucky, Ben will "show you his sisters"...!

All the best, James

Maybe I have more varied experiences shore diving around Monterey and Carmel than others because I don't think I'd put Point Lobos even in the top 5. Sure, I will bring my little boat there to dive the outer spots not accessible by shore diving, but if it's "just" shore diving, I often go elsewhere.

I'm not talking the most convenient spor or the spot with the best facilities, I'm talking one of those dives where three weeks later you're still saying "WOW."

For me that would be some spots south of Point Lobos like Mile Marker 67, Moby Ling Cove, Waterfall Beach. The Marine Station south of Garrapata SP is also nice. I'd even pick North Monastery over Whaler's Cove.

The entries are tricky and the spots aren't usually diveable if the swell is bigger than six feet, but when everything lines up they are fabulous dive spots.

Gotta agree with Dannobee on this one. I"m kinda partial to jade cove when conditions allow.

Of course here lately it's been Del Monte beach non-stop. :)

My experience here is limited but my favorites have been Coral Street and North Monastery but to be honest I'm just happy when I get a chance to get in the water no matter where it is.

Maybe I have more varied experiences shore diving around Monterey and Carmel than others because I don't think I'd put Point Lobos even in the top 5. Sure, I will bring my little boat there to dive the outer spots not accessible by shore diving, but if it's "just" shore diving, I often go elsewhere.

I'm not talking the most convenient spor or the spot with the best facilities, I'm talking one of those dives where three weeks later you're still saying "WOW."

For me that would be some spots south of Point Lobos like Mile Marker 67, Moby Ling Cove, Waterfall Beach. The Marine Station south of Garrapata SP is also nice. I'd even pick North Monastery over Whaler's Cove.

The entries are tricky and the spots aren't usually diveable if the swell is bigger than six feet, but when everything lines up they are fabulous dive spots.

Danno, great info but you went way over my head. "Wow" is exactly what I'm looking for but I've never heard of MM 67 or waterfall beach. Have any more info?

Danno, great info but you went way over my head. "Wow" is exactly what I'm looking for but I've never heard of MM 67 or waterfall beach. Have any more info?

As you drive past Point Lobos on highway 1, notice the white mile markers on the side of the road. Just over three miles south of Point Lobos you'll see Mile Marker 67.00. Park near the sign. You'll see a trail going down to what appears to be a cliff. Face the mountain and climb down on the trail, which about half way down turns to hard granite. Some of the dirt/sandy trail is washed out so be careful. It looks scary at first, but once you've done it a couple of times you don't even notice it. As you get to the water you'll see a "pool" to the right and to the left is a slope. Enter in the "pool" by doing a giant stride. Upon the exit crawl up the slope.

Moby Ling Cove is at Mile Marker 66. Park under the clump of trees on the east side of highway 1 and follow the trail down to the washed out stairs near the end of the point. Carefully walk down the trail until you get on the hard granite then walk to the very end. There is a "pool" about 8 ft deep that you'll giant stride into. As you walk near the point, notice the sloping granite that will be your exit point. Dive in the area between the rocks at the end of the point and south. There's a pretty big arch in the cove that is so big you might not notice if the vis is poor. There are pictures of this site in my scubaboard gallery.

Waterfall beach is accessed just north of Moby Ling Cove and you can actually see the waterfall from the trail to Moby Ling Cove if you take the trail further down and around the point. Park near the guardrail once you orient yourself. The footing is decent but loose on the trail, but the round rocks that make up the beach are loose so be careful. The waterfall drops about 8 ft into a bathtub sized pond. You can rinse your gear in the waterfall before you trek back up the hill.

This is rugged diving, but definitely diveable by most people once you get passed the shock factor of climbing up and down what appears to be cliffs. Like I said, once you've done a couple of dives at these spots you don't even notice.

Back
Top Bottom