What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asking me if I know I've lost my snorkel and they're just concerned about my well-being, etc. "

I love this ! I've witnessed so my people blurt out 'violation of standards' it makes me feel like I'm Medieval England.... hearing:

"-- Blasphemy !! --"

A new one from dive this weekend - Those underwater "quacker" things.

Had never actually heard or seen one until a dive guide this weekend had one, and seemed to think it was great to use it every couple of minutes 'quack', 'quack', 'quack', 'quack' .... most annoying things ever invented !

I'm still new and I'm sure a do a whole host of things that drive my dive mates completely nuts.
But the things I don't care for under water are:
When someone crowds right up beside me in open water.
Itchy nose.
Getting thirsty. I just take a sip of lake water, but it's still bothersome.
When someone is directly in front of me and just suddenly stops.- I don't know if it actually bothers me or if it only bothers me because I can't just stop like that.

And it annoys me when I have to surface knowing that I won't be going back down that day. I hate it when the dive time is officially over.

Been a regular diver since the early 80's and have seen and gone through much of what has been said. Owned a dive shop in the 90s and have led numerous trips almost everywhere. As I get older, I also get a bit more humble since I am not physically the diver I used to be but absolutely nothing can take away your experience and training, not even age. So here is what I have observed. On a personal note, nothing is worse than getting into a wet wetsuit that you have been doing 4 dives a day in for a week or so, yuck on that. I hated to see the Japanese divers literally holding hands and walking upright on all the coral in the Philippines. I later asked the divemaster why he allowed that, his answer 'because they were paying guests'. Another thing that bugs me, as divers we are supposed to be more ecologically aware yet whenever divers go on dive trips whether to a resort or liveaboard, they always seem to be chowing down on seafood. I just don't understand that. I always write on my food prefs form, 'No seafood', I really don't want to be a hypocrite. (However, I am, as I love the occasional tuna sandwich.)
New divers who flail around, well that is understandable, they need to be taught. This is not their fault as they are still insecure in these new watery surroundings. However, a relatively new diver, you know those 100 dive wonders who think they know it all, those guys are a kick in the pants. What else can I think of, oh yes, a person who has a 1000 dives in the Caribbean where there is no real current, great vis and as easy dive conditions as you can get, who then think they can dive the rougher waters that we have here in CA. They frequently get themselves in trouble pretty quick just trying to get through the surf. We see them rolling around in the surfline, losing their fins, masks and dignity. I'd put any of my past dive students up against them any day.
There are different kinds of show offs. If a person was trained to jump in and then put on his fins, I guess that is normal for him. Not safe for others but not really showing off either. Not something I would do. Then again, I never jump in with the regulator in my mouth, I hold it and stick it in my mouth at around 15 or 20 feet. That is just something I learned to do from my dive buddies way back in 81 when the only tanks we had were steel 72's. It was an anything to conserve air situation then and became a habit. Not showing off, just the way I do it.
The 'pretty fishies' thing, I remember a few years ago I took my newly certified wife on a group trip I was leading to Bali. It was a joy to see her excitement at all the 'pretty fishies'. I long ago lost that same childlike amazement that comes with being a new diver. You can't expect them to rattle off a bunch of latin names for what they are seeing for the very first time. She wouldn't know a blu ring octopus from a wonderpus if her life depended upon it. All they know is that they are seeing an octopus, a tang, a moray with huge teeth, a purple rock, a sea fan and a grouper for the very first time. We should be happy for their wonder and use it as an encouragement for continuing their diving futures.
Back to you Chet.
Steve

Walking into a dive shop looking for ogres only to find it empty.

Example: The diver in a group of Malaysians I had not too long ago who would do his giant stride holding his fins in his arms. The less experienced divers were impressed by his "coolness" and tried to imitate him. I had to retrieve more than one lost fin.

I happen to be one of those divers who holds her fins when I enter. It's not a matter of trying to look "cool". The days when I cared about looking "cool" were over about 25 years ago. It's a judgement call I make about whether I'd rather lose a fin or slip and fall while walking to entry point--especially long traverses on boats with few hand holds. Losing a fin would be a drag but falling would be worse. There are a lot of divers who think the same way. "Being cool" has nothing to do with it.

I love show-offs, especially when they lose fins and cameras.

I guess being fed Napolian Wrasse and being told it was something else was pretty annoying....

DSC_0045-1.jpg

Russians, I like, just not the decorated hoses:

DSC_0024.jpg

funerals for cameras...declared dead, and covered with a towel
IMG_1962.jpg

The first time I visited Taiwan I was amazed at how people would walk up to me and start a conversation. When I mentioned how friendly everyone was, my ex-wife ... who grew up in Taipei ... pointed out that, yes, people in Taiwan are generally friendly. But that's not why they're wanting to talk to me. They pay a lot of money to learn English over there, and when they overhear someone speaking English they want to practice.

My ex-wife's (English) spelling is not all that good. On the other hand, English is her fourth language (Mandarin, Fuchan, Japanese, English), and she's learned two more since (Indonesian, Bemba). So I'm rather inclined to cut her some slack on her spelling ... she manages to communicate rather effectively.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Never experienced that over there. Most Taiwanese did NOT want to speak English and especially not to me. They focused on speaking to my wife and in either Taiwanese or Mandarin. Only stranger who spoke to me out of the blue was a whitey and he wanted to complain until he realized I was with a Taiwanese woman and then he clammed right up.

However, Taipei is one of my favorite cities and I'm looking forward to going back there to see my friends later on this year.

I finally figured it out. The ONE thing that totally and completely annoys me about diving. --Its sitting at work knowing darn well you're working the next two weeks straight with no chance to feed the addiction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom