What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That reminds me of a one-time-only peeve: We were on a six-pack boat. It's a comfortable boat, with two benches where three people can sit on each side, under the hard top (captain is on flying bridge and there is really no seating by the tanks/gear). There were five of us on the boat that day: My buddy and I, and a group of three together, who had cameras with attached strobes.

My buddy and I had stowed our gear bags under the shorter, port bench, and tucked our water bottles at the back (gap between cushion and hull), and we were aft, securing our rigs prior to departing. The group of three took the starboard bench for themselves, and then laid their cameras out on the port bench, leaving us no-place to sit for the 20-30 minute ride out to the reef. Erm.. thanks.

Same thing happened on the way back, but they I asked if they could move them so I could sit down, which they did, pleasantly. But what were they thinking on the way out? With only the five of us on the boat, and the two benches.... did they not notice there was no THIRD bench?!

This sort of thing always reminds me of a scene from a television show that was on some years ago, called "Six Feet Under." The daughter was a rather unique, feisty gal who drove an ex-hearse. One day she got in her car and prepared to exit the family driveway. Her brother(s) and maybe some of their friends were just obliviously chatting away, blocking the driveway exit. She began rolling forward and honking the horn, shouting out, "Hello!?, I Exist!"

Glad to know it wasn't me doing something wrong. I just wanted to rinse the salt water off of the camera housing quickly so it didn't cause problems with the buttons.

Another one time only peeve . . . we did five days at a resort in Indonesia, where the dive guides were wonderful critter-spotters. The only problem was that, when they found something interesting, their way of signaling was to wave their lights frantically. Of course, being cave and tech trained, I know that a frantically waving light is an out of gas diver . . . for five days, I jumped every time the guides found a ghost pipefish!

That reminds me of a one-time-only peeve: We were on a six-pack boat. It's a comfortable boat, with two benches where three people can sit on each side, under the hard top (captain is on flying bridge and there is really no seating by the tanks/gear). There were five of us on the boat that day: My buddy and I, and a group of three together, who had cameras with attached strobes.

My buddy and I had stowed our gear bags under the shorter, port bench, and tucked our water bottles at the back (gap between cushion and hull), and we were aft, securing our rigs prior to departing. The group of three took the starboard bench for themselves, and then laid their cameras out on the port bench, leaving us no-place to sit for the 20-30 minute ride out to the reef. Erm.. thanks.

Same thing happened on the way back, but they I asked if they could move them so I could sit down, which they did, pleasantly. But what were they thinking on the way out? With only the five of us on the boat, and the two benches.... did they not notice there was no THIRD bench?!

This sort of thing always reminds me of a scene from a television show that was on some years ago, called "Six Feet Under." The daughter was a rather unique, feisty gal who drove an ex-hearse. One day she got in her car and prepared to exit the family driveway. Her brother(s) and maybe some of their friends were just obliviously chatting away, blocking the driveway exit. She began rolling forward and honking the horn, shouting out, "Hello!?, I Exist!"

I would have spoken to the other three before the boat left the jetty.

BTW I NEVER put my camera on a bench, always on the deck, that way it cannot go any lower by accident.

People who think they know everything really annoy the snot out those of us who actually do! :D

But really, I have no problem with newbies, hand waivers and the like. As long as they don't hurt the environment, others or themselves, I am OK that they don't dive like me. Hopefully, I will set an example for them to follow.

What I can't stand are the meanies of the world. You know, those who run others down in person, or worse: behind their backs! They excuse their meanness with words such as "they asked for it" or the like. This can be found on a boat or even here on ScubaBoard.

Show offs. (I guess that's not limited to diving, but there seems to be one on every boat!)
Example: The diver in a group of Malaysians I had not too long ago who would do his giant stride holding his fins in his arms. The less experienced divers were impressed by his "coolness" and tried to imitate him. I had to retrieve more than one lost fin.

And related to that, Elitists. It really bugs me when divers claim that their gear/camera/preferred style of diving/air consumption/weighting requirements/etc. are the gold standard against which all else must be measured.
Example: I recently met a young female wreck penetration diver who stated matter of factly that recreational diving was for wusses and that the only fish she was interested in seeing was the one on her plate. Talk about a conversation killer!

Amen!!! And there is way too many. Just like on my last dive vacation.. That guy looked at my camera and ask the infamous question '' does it take good pictures?''. Whitout letting me aswer that it alle depends on the guy who's actually taking the picture, he started to talk about how great and pricy was his own...

Last edited:
Just like on my last dive vacation who looked at my camera and ask the infamous question '' does it take good pictures?''. Whitout letting me aswer that it alle depends on the guy who's actually taking the picture, he started to talk about how great and pricy was his own...
That's funny because no real photographer thinks the camera is the key ingredient in taking good pictures. He'll probably spend another $10k on gear before he realizes what he really needs is lessons.

But what were they thinking on the way out? With only the five of us on the boat, and the two benches.... did they not notice there was no THIRD bench?!

They were thinking that their cameras were more important than the other divers on the boat. They should have been
standing on the way out and on the way back with their cameras on THEIR bench. I have no problem moving something
that is in my area to another location, bags, fins, masks, cameras, whatever ! I try not to get ridiculous but come on,
when you set your entire gear bag on the floor or bench directly below my tanks, what are ya thinkin' !

Excessive use of noise-making devices underwater, i.e. quackers.
I agree, if by "excessive" you mean "any."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom