What are your 3 favorite pieces of SCUBA Gear???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tiny doubles and the light monkey wing
My perdix ai
My scubapro MK20/S600

Very interesting thread.

The water was 44*-49* today (depth dependent), so I'm going to go with my wetsuit (Henderson 5mm), hood (Mako 5mm), and 5mm Boots (Aqua Lung).

After reading the posts over, I think the list below sums up what items were mentioned more then once...

Shearwater Computer
Spring Straps
Freedom Contour Plate
Halcyon Eclipse BP/W
Deep6 Fins
Scuba Pro Jet Fins
Apollo Bio Tank Lock
Poseidon Regulators
Scuba Pro Regulators
Dry Suits

The most mentioned items (after a causal read through) were Shearwater Computers, Spring Straps, and Halcyon Eclipse BP/W. I think the Freedom Contour Plate was also mentioned 3 or 4 times...

Some basic opinions like the list above would have possibly encouraged me to not make some beginner "mistakes" when buying gear...

My first computer was a Zoop (the Zoop is an ok computer, but my Perdix is near PERFECT). My first fins were Scuba Pro Jet Sport Fins (non spring strap fins)... after using them for a few years I discovered how nice spring straps are, when I bought Hollis F1's... In retrospect I wish I had forgone both initial purchases, and put that $$ towards the gear I have now (the Perdix, and my Hollis fins or better yet, my Deep6 fins).

Currently I'm looking to assemble my first BP/W setup. I'm excited to get a Freedom Contour Plate as the base of my setup. I don't think that purchase will be a mistake, many experienced divers, who's opinions I trust, have led me to this item.

***Lastly, I may treat myself to a Bio Tank Lock too, especially if I can find a used one... if not I'm sure two tank straps on my BP/W will be more then sufficient.***

My Teric
My Deep6 Eddy fins
My Seaskin Nova drysuit
My ScubaPro Mk25EVO+G260 regs

In no particular order, but my top three would have to be:

1. Atomic T3 reg
2. Tusa Paragon mask
3. Henderson wet suit

1. Shearwater Teric
2. Zeagle Zena
3. Deep 6 Eddy fins
4. Hair buff to reign in my hair

Honorable mention to my boyfriend cuz he's a calming presence and has been down for spontaneous dive days whenever I've gotten the itch.

So far

1. Ocean Reef G. Diver FFM
2. Hollis F1 Fins
3. Mares Viper Octo (this thing breathes perfectly and I love the minimalistic design)

Although....I'm pretty fond of my recently bought SEAC Amara 1.5mm gloves

I've been rethinking my choices. I use the same gear whether I'm in warm water or British Columbia. I dive with gear that has evolved over the years to make my diving as easy and safe as possible. My camera and housing give me the most to think about during a dive. I take photos on every dive so I am constantly thinking about lighting, composition and camera settings. The rest of my gear would be harder to rate because I use it without having to think about it.

My SPG is clipped to my left chest D-ring. I glance at it often so I never come close to running out of gas. My computer is on my right wrist so I can plan the rest of my dive, whether deco is required or not. I recently got a transmitter as a backup to the SPG but it also allows me to know how much time my gas will last at my current depth. I hesitated purchasing that tool but I like the remaining air function of the computer.

My compass is on my left wrist so I can find my way without having to hold a console when I have a camera in my hands. My Jetfins with bungee straps provide perfect thrust if I need to move as well as just enough negative buoyancy for my drysuit boots. The bungee straps are much easier to get in and out of than spring straps and cost pennies. My mask with purge valve allows me to dive without ever having to clear the mask. My drysuit allows me to dive in water temperatures that are warm enough to dive wet and water that would leave me shivering in a wetsuit. My regulator breathes easily at any depth I've been to and has been trouble-free. The seven foot hose on the reg allows me to swim side by side if I have to share air rather than hold the other diver close.

All of my gear could then be considered my favorite, as I never have to think about any of it during a dive. I maintain it, and in turn, it gives me the freedom to study the underwater world for longer periods than I could while free diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom