What are your 3 favorite pieces of SCUBA Gear???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Petrel (although a Perdix will be at the same ranking)
Kubi dry gloves, as part of a drysuit (Ursuit BDS) in cold water or else my 5mm Henderson Aqualock.
While I really like me RK3s I think I need to put the rEvo in the list.

(I cheated a few extra items into the list)

1. Plane ticket to Grand Cayman
2. Plane ticket to Nassau, Bahamas
3a. Plane ticket to Provo, TCI
3b. Plane ticket to Grand Turk (Optional add on to item 3a.)

Diving isn't about the gear
But the gear is all about diving! Try staying under without it!

I ran a student machine shop at UF for two years back in the seventies. I would show them how to use the drill press/band saw/horizontal mill or lathe, make sure that they were operating safely and then went to my desk. The tenor of metal cutting metal tells the whole story. When I detected a disturbance in the force, my reply was always "It's not the tool". It's human nature to push things too hard, take too big of a bite and to generally rush the process. In that respect, I certainly agree with Bob. The diver makes the gear work, not the other way around. I can trim out in a poodle jacket or my favorite Sidemount BC.

Another anecdote. A fairly famous underwater photographer with a bit of an ego was inordinately proud of his Hassleblad. He kept telling just how bad ass and expensive it was and looking at his pics, it was indeed. So, we were getting on a boat to see derelict Hell Diver at the bottom of the ocean. and he had his camera out for display in all it's glory. It was beautiful. Guy getting on the boat pauses for a moment, considers the camera for a moment and says "Awesome camera! I bet it takes really great pictures!" It was all I could do to stop laughing as I saw the look on the photog's face. Brows furrowed, mouth open in a mix of surprise and contempt, he came over to me and whispered: "Doesn't he realize that -I- take the pictures and not the camera???" I still chuckle at the recollection.

So gear is important, but skills are importanter... and if you want to piss off your favorite photographer, just tell 'em their camera probably takes pretty good pictures.

But the gear is all about diving! Try staying under without it!

I ran a student machine shop at UF for two years back in the seventies. I would show them how to use the drill press/band saw/horizontal mill or lathe, make sure that they were operating safely and then went to my desk. The tenor of metal cutting metal tells the whole story. When I detected a disturbance in the force, my reply was always "It's not the tool". It's human nature to push things too hard, take too big of a bite and to generally rush the process. In that respect, I certainly agree with Bob. The diver makes the gear work, not the other way around. I can trim out in a poodle jacket or my favorite Sidemount BC.

Another anecdote. A fairly famous underwater photographer with a bit of an ego was inordinately proud of his Hassleblad. He kept telling just how bad ass and expensive it was and looking at his pics, it was indeed. So, we were getting on a boat to see derelict Hell Diver at the bottom of the ocean. and he had his camera out for display in all it's glory. It was beautiful. Guy getting on the boat pauses for a moment, considers the camera for a moment and says "Awesome camera! I bet it takes really great pictures!" It was all I could do to stop laughing as I saw the look on the photog's face. Brows furrowed, mouth open in a mix of surprise and contempt, he came over to me and whispered: "Doesn't he realize that -I- take the pictures and not the camera???" I still chuckle at the recollection.

So gear is important, but skills are importanter... and if you want to piss off your favorite photographer, just tell 'em their camera probably takes pretty good pictures.

Would you ever say your host. "Wow thank you for an incredible Thanksgiving Dinner! You must have an amazing oven."?

1)I would have to say one of my regs, none in particular, I just love to breath when I dive!

full tank
I'm really, really NOT a religious man, but Amen to that.
Mask would be on this list, since I like to see where I'm going while under.

OK, to be somewhat mature now, I'll list only those things that I have multiples of:
Perdix (it's just better than Mares Matrix)
Xtar D26 (it's better than no name lamp from China)
Apex single tank wing (less hassle than double tank diving)
Santi Enduro (it's nice to just put my clothes on after the dive)

Halycon Eclipse BP/W
Perdix AI
Fusion Fit drysuit

Back
Top Bottom