What are the true advantages of steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62:
They have told me their price includes the tank O2 clean, stickers, fill, and a current VIP, which is something Divers Direct doesn't offer (damn there goes my direct rewards points).

With the exception of the O2 clean, all the rest is included in the $129 price for an AL80 from DD.

BTW - I just got a $10 certificate from DD for my rewards points. :D

Also I'm pretty sure PST 80 was $199 a couple of weeks ago when I was at Fill Express.

Fill Express has a great article on the differences and pros/cons of different types of tanks. Good reading. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

Marc

I like steel because of the buoyancy characteristics (with my steel 95, I use about 4 pounds of weight).

Also, steel doesn't work-harden under normal fill/drain cycles, while aluminim does. http://www.sportdiverhq.com/tanktalk.htm. Failures in steel tend to be easier to detect than in aluminum, and a steel tank will last pretty much forever, if properly maintained

Terry

Scubaguy62:
For some time I've been considering switching out of my AL80s and purchasing HP100's for me and HP80's for my wife (the scbababe is no giant :wink: )

I like the idea of the tanks' negative buoyancy when empty and the idea of about 4 lbs less lead. I also like the idea of the tanks being a bit smaller, which makes them easier to carry on your back and stow in your car and at home. However, the other day I was at a local LDS (of the many in the Fort Lauderdale area), and while chatting with the instructor, a flip side to the steel tanks was pointed out, so I seeking some advise from my SB buddies.

This instructor pointed out that other than the size of the tank, there is not much advantage for a rec diver to dive steel. He mentioned that the idea of shedding weight is a myth because the weight is not being shed, it's being shifted (you're now carrying it on your back as opposed to your waist and steel tanks are heavier); steel corrodes quicker than aluminum; HP tanks require Din regs, which he views as an unnecessary expense if you're going to remain within rec limits; the price of steel tanks is also something that he considers unnecessary.

I don't have a problem diving with AL80's, as I just add 2 - 4 lbs to compensate for their positive buoyancy when empty, and their size does not bother me. Now, short of size being an obvious advantage, especially for my better half, what are other advantages of steel over aluminum that I may be overlooking?

Thanks

Rick

It's true what Reuben and Warren say about not wearing weight. Even if I didn't need the weight, I'd still probably wear a couple of pounds just to have something to ditch if necessary, so I hope it's clear I'm on the side of wearing weight.

I think Fill Express is quoting the 80s at about $269.00 at the moment, which is about the same price as DD. BTW, I didn't make it clear before, but I know that at DD a tank purchase includes the VIP and the fill; it doesn't include the O2 clean and the stickers though.

Mo2vation, my teckie friends already give me enough of a hard time for having my "ENRICHED AIR" sticker on my tanks...lol it must be a teckie thing... Quite frankly, I could seriously do without the sticker, as they tend to get all chipped up from the tank band and yes, teckies look at you funny. After all, there is no sticker, at least none that I have seen, that says "TRIMIX." The only reason I put a sticker on my tanks is to prevent OW newbies who just grab the tank closest to the stern of the boat (where I like to set up) and leave me with 21% nitrox to deal with..

Rick

BTW, thanks for all the replies you guys...all the views are greatly appreciated.

Scubaguy62:
For some time I've been considering switching out of my AL80s and purchasing HP100's for me and HP80's for my wife (the scbababe is no giant :wink: )

I like the idea of the tanks' negative buoyancy when empty and the idea of about 4 lbs less lead. I also like the idea of the tanks being a bit smaller, which makes them easier to carry on your back and stow in your car and at home. However, the other day I was at a local LDS (of the many in the Fort Lauderdale area), and while chatting with the instructor, a flip side to the steel tanks was pointed out, so I seeking some advise from my SB buddies.

This instructor pointed out that other than the size of the tank, there is not much advantage for a rec diver to dive steel. He mentioned that the idea of shedding weight is a myth because the weight is not being shed, it's being shifted (you're now carrying it on your back as opposed to your waist and steel tanks are heavier); steel corrodes quicker than aluminum; HP tanks require Din regs, which he views as an unnecessary expense if you're going to remain within rec limits; the price of steel tanks is also something that he considers unnecessary.

I don't have a problem diving with AL80's, as I just add 2 - 4 lbs to compensate for their positive buoyancy when empty, and their size does not bother me. Now, short of size being an obvious advantage, especially for my better half, what are other advantages of steel over aluminum that I may be overlooking?

Thanks

Rick

AL80<LP90<HP100<LP104<HP120<HP130<HP140

the true advantage: Steel tanks can be very big! :bogey:

I was at Fill Express/DiveRite Express today getting fills. E7-80s are now $249, so I guess that deal was too good to last. Cheaper to get them from DD.

Scubaguy62:

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

If you like the size and feel of your 80's than like at what are called neutral 80's.. They weigh about 3lbs more and are great to dive with.. Luxfer makes them and depending on where you live is where you can find them...

We sold them at www.abyss.biz but dealers would not purchase them because they were different and only wanted to sell 80's to you divers.. Maybe because you don't see them very often but they are well balance and act just like the steel counter parts...

Also these are what we call a true 80.. They hold 80cu feet of air.. The luxfer standard 80 only holds 77 cu ft of air in them.. Yes I know that for a fact since we sell cylinders and I've been to the factory in Riverside,CA...

If you can't find them email me and tell me your location and I will try to find a dealer close to you...

Randy

Scubaguy62:
It's true what Reuben and Warren say about not wearing weight. Even if I didn't need the weight, I'd still probably wear a couple of pounds just to have something to ditch if necessary, so I hope it's clear I'm on the side of wearing weight.

To clarify this. If you don't need wieght, don't wear weight. It gains you absolutely nothing. If you don't need wieght, wearing two extra pound to ditch won't make the gear less negative. Choose your gear such that you need those pound if ditchable weight is a priority.

I personally believe that either you should be able to swim the gear up or have a bailout option (drysuit, redundant bladder etc) if you dive overly negative gear.

Mike

Are the PST series of steel tanks made by Faber...or? Whats the scoop on 'em?

Thanks,

iflyprops:
Are the PST series of steel tanks made by Faber...or? Whats the scoop on 'em?

Thanks,

Made in the USA. Favorable buoyancy characteristics. Dimensions and proportions to fit most every diver. Galv dipped and dull gray, as God intended all real scuba tanks to be.

And unfortunately, Faber is still, well, Faber. Not USA. Not Galv dipped. Not dull gray. Not size friendly to many. Just not. But they do offer the tallest tank boot on the planet...if you're into that stuff.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom