What are the optimal settings for navigating Scuba Board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been tweaking my settings to figure out how to minimize frustration when navigating the Scuba Board forums, but still have some frustration.

What I do is, I bring up SB. Then I go to the User Control Panel. Then I select one of the threads I'm participating in. Then I select View First Unread. After I'm finished with that thread, I select User CP again, and repeat the above process until I've finished participating in all my subscribed threads. Then I select New Posts -- All New Posts and scroll through those, participating in anything that looks interesting.

First of all, I would like a setting that said something like, "When entering a subscribed thread, always go automatically to the first unread post." Is there such a setting? If not, there should be.

Second, depending on which computer I'm using, whenever I navigate to a new page, I have to wait about 20 seconds for all the banners and ads and stuff to load. There is a setting not to load ads, but they seem to load anyway. This is not an issue with my computer at work, which is a much faster computer. But on my personal computer (which is a netbook) it's a real irritation.

So anyway, I navigate to a thread. The banners are loading. I scroll down to View First Unread, position my mouse on View First Unread, start to click it, but now it's jumped (up or down) a few lines, and I'm clicking on something else. So I reposition the cursor to View First Unread, start to click it, and it jumps again (since the banners are still loading). Ugh!

What browser, version, operating system are you using, and what kind of internet connection speed do you have?

What browser, version, operating system are you using, and what kind of internet connection speed do you have?

I have Internet Explorer, Opera and Chrome, all 3 are the latest versions, on Windows 7 Starter, on my home wireless at a speed of 54 Mbps. On this computer, SB won't work with Chrome at all (though works on Chrome on my work computer). Currently I'm using Opera, it seems to be a bit quicker than IE.

By the way, in case you're wondering, there are no parasites or viruses on my computer.

If you have a 54 Mbps connection, then you should have page loads of less than 3 seconds. If you are using the "latest" versions of each (which that's even hard to keep up with), then again... You should have very rapid page draws. Even with banner ads, avatars, images, and all... Pages are only a few hundred kb's.

I'm using a verizon wireless 3g connection, and have pages only take about 2.5 seconds right now.

Aside from "parasites or viruses" all browsers use "plug-ins" or "addons" - try disabling the ones you have, as they may impact your performance.

There are several topics in this forum on how to disable addons in IE 8 or 9, and if you google it, there's plenty of detailed instructions.

Does not sound like this is a ScubaBoard issue.

How are you determining your connection speed? Likely the 54M is the connection speed to your router, which is then connected to the internet at a much lower speed. At 54M the banner ads would load in less than a second. (Just did a test on my connection and the load time was under a second - my connection is currently 47M) To find out your true connection speed try Speedtest.net and run a test. (Don't "maximize your Performance with TuneUp if offered) This will tell you what speed you are really connected at and may lead you to a solution. You really only care about the download speed for this purpose.

Does not sound like this is a ScubaBoard issue.

How are you determining your connection speed? Likely the 54M is the connection speed to your router, which is then connected to the internet at a much lower speed. At 54M the banner ads would load in less than a second. (Just did a test on my connection and the load time was under a second - my connection is currently 47M) To find out your true connection speed try Speedtest.net and run a test. (Don't "maximize your Performance with TuneUp if offered) This will tell you what speed you are really connected at and may lead you to a solution. You really only care about the download speed for this purpose.

My download speed on Speedtest.Net is 9.31 Mbps.

My download speed on Speedtest.Net is 9.31 Mbps.

I suggest you review my advice and check your addons.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I have Internet Explorer, Opera and Chrome, all 3 are the latest versions, on Windows 7 Starter, on my home wireless at a speed of 54 Mbps. On this computer, SB won't work with Chrome at all (though works on Chrome on my work computer). Currently I'm using Opera, it seems to be a bit quicker than IE.

By the way, in case you're wondering, there are no parasites or viruses on my computer.

what programs load automatically and run in the background.

I suggest you review my advice and check your addons.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

As soon as I read your advice I deleted the 2 add-ons I had (Acrobat and Spybot S&D), but it didn't help. My plan is to next make sure I have the latest Internet Explorer, and if not will upgrade. Thanks for the suggestions!

At 9M banners should load in about 4 seconds, possibly as much as 5. If it is taking 20 then something is wrong.

I suspect something running in background slowing everything down.

Things to check:

Addins as HowardE suggests

Other software running in background. Figure out what software is started automatically when your computer starts up. Stop them temporarily one at a time. (Personally I stop all of them see if that is the issue, and then add them back in one at a time if it fixes the problem)

However, the most likely is some kind of maleware. A virus, trojan, worm, what have you. Someone tells me their computer has no viruses I want to know how they know. The answer "I run anti virus software" is not sufficient. No one software package will catch everything and the symptoms you describe lead me to belive that is your problem. Very few people have the skills to definitively say that they have no malware on their computer. Run some of the free packages and scan your troubled computer. Panda, Kaspersky, Microsoft Security are three free tools that my people used to use to scan for viruses ( I am retired so don't have people any more) - there are others, we would just keep looking until we found one that would find the problem. Malwarebytes and HyJack this are also useful, but require a bit more technical knowledge to resolve the problem.

Likely you are going to have to hire someone to locate the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom