What are the drawbacks of sidemount diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am paying to be on that boat then the captain can take a swordfish and stick it up his :mooner: backplate.
Usually you would ask about SM before going out on a boat.

They don't usually gripe to you, and I have never been turned down. In this neck of the woods the mates are really awesome, and the boats we go on cater to tech divers etc, so they'll haul your bottles up for you and lower em in for you no problem, but in the Keys etc, it's a little more difficult...

are people using sidemount yet for deep 240+ foot dives (particularly in cold, dark water)?

Curt Bowen was using a set of my 119's sidemount down to about 210 in Nootka Sound ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The things I've picked up from asking and listening:

Sidemount rigs are very idiosyncratic, and you may have to pass through a very awkward and uncomfortable period before you get yours dialed in.

Sidemount loses you the ability to access all of your gas, if you have a first or second stage malfunction or hose blow.

Sidemount setups are a bit more of a pain to get into, as compared with backmount, where you spend the time assembling the setup, but once you have done that, you shrug in and are good to go.

I have this suspicion, too, that you have to do significant rerigging for different sorts of tanks.

And for me, the biggest drawback of sidemount is that none of the people I normally dive with are going to be happy with me . . .

I thought the last thing, and slowly a lot of my buddies are converting...

With the different tanks it's actually not bad. For me I learned where to put the bolt snap in relation to the valve opening which allows for proper orientation, and I use stage straps, so they are set to one length and the cam bands align right for length every time. My straps are long, so if they're too short I just put them as short as I can and they ride a bit farther down, but no biggie.

I never had the awkward phase, but I took my time and did my research getting set up before hand. I was familiar with the transpac, so knew where I wanted the straps to fit and everything, so that was easy, and the hardest thing is getting the tanks aligned right, which took FOREVER, but isn't all that awkward. I took a buddy, had him put a heavy weight belt on in the pool and hovered next to him. Wrote on a slate either up or down, or rotate in or out until I got one tank where I wanted it, then mimicked it on the other side. Did this so I could be without exposure protection and take the bottles on and off without much buoyancy change. Also did it with AL80's, so that helped too.

I have since made a lot of adjustments to my Nomad though, but those were mainly due to addition of drysuit and having to lengthen the shoulder straps a little for D-ring placement. Trying to switch to ring bungees for personal preference. Think that was about it... Oh and switched the pull dump plug thing because I couldn't find it with gloves on since I switched the inflator to the bottom

It's also a great approach for many destinations where the dives would warrant doubles, but they're not readily available.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Standard buddy bands would seem an easier option which will run on a normal BC than buying a harness specific to sidemount and the hoses etc.
Get an independent twinset quickly and easily then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom