What are the chances of finding a job on a live aboard as crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. I'm hopefully going on a Blackbeards trip in about 2 months. I'm working on my AOW and then my Rescue diver so hopefully once I get a few more certifications I'll have a good chance of landing a job.

While that is a great cert to have for working any offshore job, is there any dive liveboard that actually requires it?

I think there was a thread by one of the flower garden boat captains asking that.... I don't think there were any 'yes' answers.

STCW 95 is not required on vessels of 200 gross tons or less that are 'domestic voyages'. (voyages that begin and end in the US).

It still is a good feather to have your hat/resume when applying for a liveboard job.

now working an offshore commercial ship crew, I think most require STCW 95

EDIT: Looking at the Agressor and Peter Hughes page, they require STCW95 for employees

What you said about "domestic voyages" is true. But a domestic voyage is one that begins and ends in a U.S. port, does not touch at a foreign port or enter foreign waters

Down in SoCal they have quite a few liveaboards that I'm quite sure do not require much more than you already have to work as a deck hand. Having a Rescue Cert would be a big plus though. These aren't the cozy comfy Aggressor type but we like them anyway. There's a young guy that I know that started out as a crew member and is now the Capt.

Horizon Charters-Horizon Charters
Truth Aquatics-Truth Aquatics
The Peace-The Peace

Here's a complete list of all California day and multi day dive boats. The ones that have more than 2 bunks are the multi day/liveaboard boats.

California Dive Boats-California Dive Boats

Here are some job openings announced earlier this month...

Aggressor Fleet Announces Key Openings

WayneWorks Marine Offering Career Opportunities for “New Aggressor Fleet Team Members”

Earn an annual income of $70,000 as a Captain or $50,000 as a Certified Dive Instructor. Aggressor Fleet Team Members receive substantial benefits while exploring exotic dive destinations like Cayman, Belize and Turks and Caicos. We welcome short and long terms employees to grow with the company aboard our world-wide fleet of dive yachts. Benefits include: 401k, medical insurance, paid vacation for every four weeks on duty, and weekly gratuities. The company provides comprehensive training with every position and requires all team members to follow the guidelines set forth in our standard operating procedure manual. If you are looking for a fun and exciting career and enjoy scuba diving, living in a tropical paradise, learning about new cultures and enjoy interacting with other sport diving enthusiasts, this is your dream job!

Current Needs: Captains, 2nd Captains, Engineers and Dive Instructors

Aggressor Fleet is seeking 200-ton licensed Captains and 2nd Captains with previous live-aboard experience. Other applicants who hold a dive instructor rating and have working knowledge of diesel engines, generators and high pressure compressors will be considered first. All applicants must have a minimum of STCW95 and be current with all certifications held.

Aggressor Fleet, the world’s largest fleet of franchise live-aboards, has dive yachts in Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Fiji, Galapagos, Hawaii, Maldives, North Sulawesi, Palau, Turks & Caicos and Utila, Honduras. More information about Aggressor Fleet is available at Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984.

Please send your resume with current photo to Wayne Hasson, wayne@aggressor.com, fax: +1-239-593-5032. (Compensation packages may differ from one yacht operation to another)

Aggressor Fleet Announces Opening for Key Industry Professional

-----------------------------

Aggressor Fleet Offering Career Opportunity for Assistant Operations Manager

Earn an annual income of $60,000 as the Assistant Operations Manager for Aggressor Fleet. As the Assistant Operations Manager, you'll have the opportunity to travel to eleven exotic dive destinations to perform training and inspections aboard our yachts. Must be detail oriented, have a 200-ton Captains license, is a dive instructor and has a mechanical background. Benefits include: 401k, medical insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays etc. If you are looking for a fun and exciting career, enjoy scuba diving and interacting with other sport diving enthusiasts, this is your dream job!

Aggressor Fleet, the world’s largest fleet of franchise live-aboards, has dive yachts in Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Fiji, Galapagos, Hawaii, Maldives, North Sulawesi, Palau, Turks & Caicos and Utila, Honduras. More information about Aggressor Fleet is available at Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984.

Please send your resume with current photo to Wayne Hasson, wayne@aggressor.com,

fax: +1-239-593-5032

-stcw required more and more these days(even though in many cases uscg doesn't check or seem to care)- for any yacht work it is a must for hire- as far as most liveaboards, most will not hire you as a "deckhand" as one post suggested- not unless you are a instructor or at least dm-- possibly if you show some mechanical/engineering experience or ability...work toward your instructor and when you get it apply everywhere you want to go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom