What are the "Can't Miss" dive sites in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Arise from the dead my thread"

So, it's been a while since this thread saw the light of day. New people and some familiar names from the past add your favorite. Has anything changed for you if you posted previously? New peeps... what are your thoughts? We'll be the in two weeks and I'm going CRAZY waiting.

I dived Bonaire in 2013. Was somewhat disappointed at the condition of the corals and the general lack of marine life overall. To the point that Bonaire is not on my list of places to dive again in my lifetime.

That much being said the Hilma Hooker wreck was better than a great day at work. There's something about doing a shore dive to a large deep relatively intact wreck that has a ring of adventure to it.

"Arise from the dead my thread"

So, it's been a while since this thread saw the light of day. New people and some familiar names from the past add your favorite. Has anything changed for you if you posted previously? New peeps... what are your thoughts? We'll be the in two weeks and I'm going CRAZY waiting.
Glad you are excited and you should be! Good for you that you get to go enjoy yourself and some great diving.

I have been there 3 times in the last year and a half and will be going back again in August for 2 weeks. I really enjoy Bonaire (in terms of Caribbean diving). I love the dive freedom, I love the shore diving and the inexpensive cost of shore diving, I enjoy the island and its food. I feel the diving is as good as anywhere else in the Caribbean. It doesn't have the dramatic walls and swim throughs of Cozumel or the Caymans, but I have found the reefs to be quite healthy. Just super fun and easy diving. As for favorite dive sites, I would put the following on my list:

SOUTHERN SITES:
- The Lake
- Pink Beach
- Salt Pier
- Margate Bay
- Vista Blue
- White Slave
CENTRAL SITES:
- Something Special (Night dive)
- Bari Reef
- The Cliff
NORTHERN SITES:
- Andrea 1
- Oil Slick Leap
- Weber's Joy
- Tolo
- 1,000 Steps
- Karpata

This is a bit long, but here is a video from back in December 2017:

I go to Bonaire every year and have dived almost every site there. My favourites include:

Oil Slick Leap -- and make sure you actually do the leap, not the ladder entry.
1000 Steps
Tolo

Hilma Hooker
Alice in Wonderland
Salt Pier
Bachelors Beach

I also highly recommend going to the East Coast and diving Turtle City.

If you are more adventurous, i also suggest going North into the park and diving some of the far north sites. It is a trek to get out there and will take up the better part of the day, but the coral formations are the best on the island. (Beware strong currents and plan your dive accordingly).

This is a bit long, but here is a video from back in December 2017:

Excellent video! What are you using for a camera rig?

Excellent video! What are you using for a camera rig?

Which video are you referencing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom