What are the "Can't Miss" dive sites in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Dork Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We're looking into planning a trip to Bonaire. No dates set yet. Looking at 4+ dives per day, including our first night dive/s.

But I've been reading everything I can about Bonaire, its reefs, its history, people...

One of my biggest questions is regarding dive sites.
What are the "CAN'T MISS" dive sites around the island?

I've read review after review on shorediving.com but was looking for input from the boards.

Thanks
Dennis

in your research, have you come across the book titled, "Shore Diving in Bonaire"?

I just picked it up for my trip next week. It lists the various shore diving locations along with level of difficulty and what to see.

I believe that this book's author does say "must see" in the writeups. When I get back, I will be sure to provide the forum with my take on the island and my favorite dive spots. This will be my first trip.

I've seen it... have not read it... probably will buy it.

We look forward to your report. Enjoy!

Too bad you didn't make it 2 weeks sooner. You would have missed this arctic blast!
BRRRRRRR

Last year was my first trip to Bon. That of course was before Omar. You might try BonaireTalk also for updated conditions of the sites. I am going to Bon in 6 weeks and have been searching Bonairetalk and here for any post Omars conditions and have they have only mentioned a few of the sites. Basically most of them have noted changes on the entrys. One of my favorites and sure many others here is Oil Slick, sadly it was mentioned that the wall heading south was badly damaged from 15 to about 40 ft. I not sure what the north wall is like from the ladder, I heard that it fared better. I will check it out when I get their. I feel that Bari reef by Den Laman is a must see for twilight dives, so many critters crawling about. Bachelor was a easy entry before Omar, it's tad bit harder to enter now but a nice dive. Another favorite is The Lake and Alice in Wonderland definately lived up to it's name. Angel City is another south site worth seeing. I'm sure more here will chime in on their favorites. Go to shorediving.com click the ABC Island link and you will find diver's reviews of the sites before Omar and they have posted pics of the entries to most of the dive sites on Bonaire. I was only in Bon last year for a week and hit only few of the many sites. This year I'll be their for 2 weeks and plan to hit the sites I did not do. When you do go I think you will want go back for the pure freedom of diving to you're own schedule.

Yeaz, did'nt finish you're post that you had gone to shorediving.com.

I've seen it... have not read it... probably will buy it.

We look forward to your report. Enjoy!

Too bad you didn't make it 2 weeks sooner. You would have missed this arctic blast!
BRRRRRRR

I'm glad I didn't miss the artic blast - now I will appreciate Bonaire even more!

Bonaire is a wonderful place to dive and most of the reefs are beautiful and fun. Where ever you're staying will probably have a "house reef." A house reef is the reef right in front of the hotel. When I'm in Bonaire, I always plan to make lots of dives at the house reef. Do not book boat dives until you've dived all the reefs you can reach from shore and then make sure they only take you to sites not accessible from shore.

In no particular order, some of my favorites:

1000 steps
Ol' Blue
Karpata
Invisibles
Witch's Hut

Dennis,

My favs are:

North: Ole' Blue, Karpata, Jeff Davis and Thousand Steps

South: Margate Bay, Red Slave, Hilma Hooker (wreck) and Angel City (double reef system).

Liz

No particular order but generally N->S

Rappel - boat dive only but worth it.
Forest - Klein - Black Coral forest at 70'
Hands Off - Klein - drift dive
Bari Reef - fish everywhere
Invisibles - nice dive.
Angel City - as Liz mentioned, nice double reef.
Salt Pier - I enjoyed the shallow piers. Sunlight streaming through the piers is a great photo op
Vista Blue - ripping currents sometimes. And it's pretty isolated.

The classic night dive that Bonaire is famous for is Town Pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom