What are the best wrecks in your home waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

typically it is a run up the Halifax, Nova Scotia region, sometimes further North.

Some of the other divers I see at the dive park... they are nervous wrecks, but occasionally give me an opportunity to save the damsel in distress (at least until her BF comes along)!

Some of the other divers I see at the dive park... they are nervous wrecks, but occasionally give me an opportunity to save the damsel in distress (at least until her BF comes along)!

Singapore sirens?

Thanks a lot for the information guys. I am mostly interested in wreck photography. I had the pleasure of diving San Diego and was quite impressed with the dive. Just to further clarify myself, I wanted to know what wrecks were peoples individual favorites rather than official lists of sites which is a great too. I dove on board Garloo when Captain Hank was still alive. It was an amazing dive and he was a very nice guy. I learnt a lot from him about the history of diving and wrecks.

I love the wreck diving community in NJ area. If anyone of you heads out to your favorite wrecks, sometime then I would love to join you guys.

Thanks a lot for the information guys. I am mostly interested in wreck photography.

This is from the Stolt Dagali, off the NJ coast. We have a charter there on the 16th, but it's sold out (PM me if you want to be on the wait list). Also, feel free to come to our club meeting next Wednesday, you will meet a lot of local divers who are always looking for buddies!

Best_of_Northeast_Divers_007.jpg

Northern Pacific
Varanger
Carolina
St Augustine
India Arrow
City of Athens

Just to name a few....So many....hard to only name a few.

Is there a market for charter boat in NJ waters? Looks like a lot of places to dive and a lot of eager divers but no boats to take them there.

There are about a dozen NJ dive boats. A few run "Open Boat" trips, but most tend to do charters, either with clubs or dive shops. Personally, I like the Venture 3 in Belmar and the Gypsy Blood in Point Pleasant, both have great captains and great crews. I charter the Venture 3 with a group of friends roughly every other week, of course depending upon the boat's schedule. He gives us 3 dives on a trip and lets us choose the destinations. We take 6-8 divers on a boat capable of taking 14, so it's never crowded. If you'd like to join us, PM me with your contact info, experienced divers are always welcome.

My favorite local NJ wrecks, in no special order:

USS Mohawk. 80 ft deep. Passenger ship. Always good for artifacts, food and an interesting dive. It was blown up by the Coast Guard and isn't identifiable as a ship, it looks more like a junk yard, but it's a very popular site.
Sea Girt Wreck / 120 wreck / NorthEast sailor / Hankins - 4 wooden sailing ships circa late 1800's. Depths 80-90 ft range. Fun for digging, spearfishing and just swimming around.
Stolt Dagli. 60 feet to the top of the wreck, 125 feet at the bottom. Great dive, the wreck is teeming with life.

Nobody ever talks about natural reefs, or "rock piles" as we call them, but central jersey has some great locations with lots of hiding holes for lobster, habitat for fish, and interesting sea life. Jersey also has artificial reefs consisting of tug boats, construction debris, railroad cars, barges and even some World War 2 tanks and APC's. Lots to see and do under the water in Jersey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom