What are the best fins and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my old Far-along depth gauge.
I had the fara fins pictured, in the late 70's early 80's.....Great for sudden SPRINT...not so great for sustained high speed...not enough flexing for efficient propulsion...only in sprint would they really bend much :)

I recalled that you or Thal had a pair. Farallon had some cutting edge ****t.

what is the best type of bike?
what is the best type of down hill skis
What is the best boot
etc....

The one that you get to use and not just leave in the shed :D

I recalled that you or Thal had a pair. Farallon had some cutting edge ****t.

I worked at Farallon at that time. The Farallon "Decomputer" was named the "Decomptposer" by the customer service
department.-Piles off them came back daily until it was discontinued.

The Fara-Fin was another gimmick, a stiff unwieldy and overpriced fin that lasted under one year in the market.

Farallon did have some game changing products. The illuminated gauges, good masks, a quality snorkel, and the Farallon
DPV series.

It was fun working @ Farallon. The most overworked department was returns and warranty.

It was a good learning experience.

My Fara fins tore at one of the ankle brace rods after maybe 3 years of use ( though I think diving was only like 10 -15 times per year for me way back then)... It was the stiffest fin I have ever used, by far. Back then, I could do 25 paralell squats with 225 pounds in quick succession, and was doing 3 mile runs at a 5 min 30 sec pace.....these fins were actually to stiff for me, other than at full sprint, so my guess is that a very tiny percentage of the buyers could really appreciate them.... Now as a cyclist, I would love to try them again, but I doubt they would be that much easier today--though it would be interesting to see how they frog kick, reverse kick, and do penetration level type GUE skills :)

Who woulda' thought there were so many Fara Fin aficionados out there! I remember the price back in the 70's was something like 160.00 which was outrageous given that a USD Rockets were something like 25.00 (on sale) and a SB Jet was something like 55. I remember some scientists bought a few and ditched them after trying a few rocky shore entries at Monterey behind the Hopkins Lab. They were grumbling "pain in ----" and stiff. :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom