What Are People Downloading the CF Cards To?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I've finally gone digital and wondering if anyone here has used the Nexto CF card reader or the PD70X? I need a large card reader that I can take on a boat and leave my laptop behind. I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig cards.

When I go on liveaboard, I bring my laptop. If I do land base with 2-3 dives before coming back to shore, I leave the laptop at the hotel and bring a few CF cards with me.
I have a 4GB card, 2GB card and a 1GB card.
D2X uncompressed RAW file is 20 mb a picture. Sorry, not much help here :)
did not hear many good things about PD70X and the Nexto seems to compare favourably to the PD70X.

I carry two 1GB cards. If I am doing three or more dives/day I take my Archos Gmini and download to that on the boat.

If I were on holiday out for a few days, I'd take the laptop.

Thanks SSRA30 - I need to find something that is fast for downloading these cards. I can't always carry my laptop with me and above water have been known to shoot the equivelant of up to 2500 images in a day.

I also take my laptop because there is no other way to view RAW images. If you just want to shoot high quality JPEG's then you can get those funky drives with small screens. They don't handle RAW to view yet though - although you could still download the files to them if you only want to save/store them.

Some of the enviroments that I work in, I'd rather leave the laptop (new G4 1.6 gig) in the car or hotel. At night I'll download to the laptop. I can pretty easily shoot 30 gigs in a day. Just need something to store the photos on during the shoot itself.

OE2X:
Thanks SSRA30 - I need to find something that is fast for downloading these cards. I can't always carry my laptop with me and above water have been known to shoot the equivelant of up to 2500 images in a day.

Ouch, forgot you are the pro. photographer :)
I am way too lazy to take many pictures on land so most of my pictures are underwater stuff. From what I gather, Nexto probably would be a good choice especially when you have a fast CF card.
Speed becomes a big factor when you are dealing with big files!
Have you consider the wireless thingy for your camera? I am not sure of the range but if you are close enough, you can leave the laptop on in your car and keep on shooting and downloading it to your laptop via wireless connection :)
I thought it was a neat idea but the wireless thing won't fit in UW housing otherwise I can keep on shooting all day (if I don't change lenses) and never have to open my housing once :)
(sorry, my mind seems to think only about UW photography application).

Wireless? I thought that was for the internet? It would be for an Apple G4 if you have a link. I will be shooting with a firewire cable from the D2X directly into the laptop when I can, but that's only in a studio environment. Apple doesn't give away their computers, so I'm likely to keep it protected.

I can't find the Nikon WT-2A thing on Nikon site but here is a link to one: http://www.adorama.com/INKWT2A.html
Range of 100ft but it does not say if it works with Apple or not.
So many new toys to buy :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom