What are best deals on used gear that you have scored? Advice on buying used gear? Rate this deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that include the money you threw into that hole afterwards to fix it up?
I'd guess another million or 3.

I guess you have to figure out what is a "Good Deal" to you.

I really like Scubapro MK10's and G250's. They can be hard to find used for what I consider a good deal. My best deal on ebay with one was $75 for a beautiful set with an Air2 hose and pressure gauge. I was very happy with that price for that set so to me that was a "Good Deal". It might have been an excellent deal to someone else or just ok deal to a third person.

You can find good used gear all the time so don't rush your purchase. Also, don't beat yourself up if after you buy what you want you find the same thing for cheaper a week later. It happens. Just set your budget and be patient.

You left out a really great place to find deals.. FB marketplace. In my other thread I mention on page 4 how I ‘hacked’ the marketplace to show me all results nationwide in 3 searches, rather than being limited to 100m radiuses.

Just went crazy buying new gear ($1400 Atomic BC1 BCD, TWO Atomic Cobalts, B2, M1, SS1..) STOP ME!!!

That being said.. you asked about top deals found. At this point, I got 2 brand new Cobalt 2 ($1200 each) dive computers for $150 each. An atomic bc1 ($1399) for $500. Atomic m1 2nd stage for 130 and b2 1st for 120. A pair of atomic split fins for $20. The fins, bcd, and 1st stage I all found on FB marketplace and had shipped (except fins, those were local pickup).

I got the computers by lowballing the hell out of everyone on eBay accepting “best offers”, then getting 99% rejections.. and one guy who said yes, but it turned out it was 2 used cobalt 1s, not one. For 300 total. Then one flooded after a recall, so they sent me two new cobalt 2s. Not an everyday scenario, but end result is two C2’s for 150 each. The lowballing idea has worked well for me.. I got a nearly new Kindle Oasis 2 for $80, some power packs for traveling for $30 (retail for 150), etc. No reason it can’t work for you too - just be careful, because you have to buy it if they accept your offer. That’s why I lowball, so if 8 people say yes I can still sell the 7 I don’t need. Apparently most people out there know what they are selling, but sometimes you get that random sale from a person cleaning out a storage unit, or a realtor who found an item in a house they are selling (which is what happened with the fins for 20), or someone who just wants the thing gone. That’s why you just have to flood the market for what you want with crazy low offers, hoping you find one of the above. The main thing is that you have to be patient.. none of those deals happened the first time I looked. It was only after a few days for some, weeks for others, and months for a couple, that I snagged them.

I was hoping to get the gear for $200-250.
An entire package like you listed, down to the dive knife/dry suit/etc, for 250? I’m not saying that is *impossible*, but I don’t think even I could pull that off. You’re better off getting the best essentials (bcd and regulator) you can for that 250, then get cheap everything else until you can afford to upgrade piecemeal. I’d probably do the 250 for the bcd/regs, then in order of priority (for me) mask, fins, computer, then other accessories.

Back
Top Bottom