What AOW courses did you find the most helpful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from the Philippines--I did Peak Performance and Buoyancy, and it was really worthwhile. It probably helped that I was the only one in the "class," and I got the instructor's undivided attention. We discovered that my weight distribution was wrong. When we put .8 kg on each thigh, my buoyancy challenges disappeared, and I was even able to hover at 7 ft below the surface--never a possibility before.

I also watched the video for Night Diving, and did a night dive, but our lights went out so I couldn't do all the requirements for the specialty. Oh well, it was a lot of fun. We saw dozens of lion fish, explored a wreck, saw a Spanish dancer (nudibranch), a huge volute shell with its mantle extended (absolutely amazing), and so many other things. I petted a sleeping fish (not a lion fish!!!)

I read through the PADI AOW book, and I can't wait to do Navigation and Search and Recovery!

And, of course, Deep Diving. . . .

Last week I was in Xcalak, Mexico. XTC Divers there has an excellent dive instructor, Steve. Even though I'd already done several of the AOW classes in other places, I went ahead and did the entire program with him. I did:

1. Multilevel
2. Night diving
3. Underwater Navigation
4. Underwater Naturalist
5. Deep diving

I felt like it was well worth the time. After doing OW, it is easy to forget all the information, and the AOW program is a great refresher, as well as giving more knowledge and experience. I didn't think I'd like the Multilevel module, but it turned out to be one of the best.

Steve did a great Underwater Naturalist module, also. He even pointed out a male yellow-headed jawfish that was carrying eggs in his mouth.

I was disappointed not to get to do the Search and Recovery dive, but the viz was too good to make it practical. Maybe I'll do the whole rescue diver course some time.

Back
Top Bottom