What am I supposed to react when a shark is heading towards me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They won't know you're covered in it until after they've bitten, so....

I am counting on them to lick first. :)

Dump hot sauce all over your body. They hate hot sauce.

As others have said, there are so many species that the vast majority of time, they're just passing by. If in doubt, hands in, go vertical in the water to look larger, and in my case, I raise my large camera. The camera is to take a photo first, but then to use as a shield. I have used it to "redirect" overly interested sharks.

Also, dive with a smaller, slower buddy. And carry a knife. The knife is not for the shark, but you can nick your buddy, so that they start bleeding, and flailing around trying to figure out why you just stuck them with a knife. This is the time you make your getaway. :)
What if it's a Mexican shark who enjoyed chilli? But first thing to seriously worried about seems to be a buddy with knife rather than the shark itself...

What if it's a Mexican shark who enjoyed chilli? But first thing to seriously worried about seems to be a buddy with knife rather than the shark itself...

And you wouldn't be wrong... ;-)

a14c264dfaa97f94fb31500f6d687c5b.gif

If diving in places that consume hot sauce, pour it over your buddy. And make sure to shank them before they get you.

Just remember. You dont need to be the fastest swimmer. You just need to out swim your buddy.

Depends on the species. With a very few you might say your prayers but with most of them you could just say "WOW... how cool!" I've dived with sharks all over the world. The only one that ever attacked me was an 18" horn shark when I tried to reposition it for a better camera angle. I laughed so hard the reg fell out of my mouth!

Depends on the species. With a very few you might say your prayers but with most of them you could just say "WOW... how cool!" I've dived with sharks all over the world. The only one that ever attacked me was an 18" horn shark when I tried to reposition it for a better camera angle. I laughed so hard the reg fell out of my mouth!

Well deserved bite, wasn't it.

A friend of mine, also taking a photo, was annoying a horned shark and it bit him IIRC in the soft part between thumb and forefinger. Again, deserved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom