What air level indicates your dive is done?

At what air volume do you decide to end your dive?

• 500 PSI

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • 600 PSI

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 700 PSI

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • 800 PSI

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 900 PSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000 PSI

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • 1100 PSI

• 1200 PSI

• 1300 PSI

• 1400 PSI

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 50 PSI

• 100 PSI

• 200 PSI

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 300 PSI

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • 400 PSI

• 14.7 PSI is OK for me

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • When Im sucking the paint off the OUTSIDE of the Tank!

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me I would have to say anything between 1000-500 psi. I don't take chances when I am diving. It's just crazy to go down to 100 psi or even 14.7 (who voted for that anyway?).

Tekkie.

I'm usually on the hang line around 1500 - 1000 psi. I'll then do a stop for a while but never so that I'm less than 400 psi or so. Coming up with 400 psi means that I probably did a 30 min stop.

I tell knew divers the rule of thirds is a good rule of thumb for new divers and it applies to most if not all situations(assuming of course you're within the limits of the RDP)

1) a third "going in"
2) a third "coming back"
2) a third in reserve

hope that helps,

mike

Fifty bar for me. Here's a little story from my last international trip. I was in Nusa Penida in Bali last summer and using the shops rental kit. My guage said I had 50 bar. I was only in 4 or 5 meters of water but the current was strong. When I signalled the dm, he signalled back that we should stay down. I think he wanted to do this because we were swimming towards the boat and it was easier to swim at depth than on the surface. Any way, my guage hit 30 bar and I signalled that I had enough and that I really wanted to ascend. On the way up, it felt really tough to breath and then a few feet from the surface, my air was gone. The guage still read 30 bar on the surface. I guess I shouldn't have listened to him when he said to stay down. It was scary but now I'm glad it happened. It's the first time that I've felt my air go off underwater since my ow course, thank god, and I hope it's the only time. However, it's good to know that feeling though so you recognise it as it happens. It convinced me to finally get my own gear. No more of that crap shoot with the rentals.

I have a simple rule of thumb I follow. I add a zero to the end of my max depth and that is my assent pressure. Example a dive to 90ft we are at the anchor line and starting our assent at 900lbs. For dives of 60 ft or less we start our assent at 600lbs. So far none of us have ever got back on the boat with less than 400lbs.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
On the way up, it felt really tough to breath and then a few feet from the surface, my air was gone. The guage still read 30 bar on the surface.

skipjack28 once bubbled...
Its all about comfort level Beth.
I thought the diving alone would
get flames.
How about this. Forget the tables.
If I can get 20 min at 60 ft out of an A80
and the no decom limits off the old navy
dive tables is 60 min at 60 ft then.......
I can do 3 consecutive dives to 60 ft
and forget about the tables. When you
factor in up down and shallower and the surface interval between dives you still
don't have to worry about decom.
I guess I am old school.
Its easy its safe and simple.

Where do you dive?

Back in the dark ages when I smoked heavily I regularly got 60 min at 60 feet on a 72 jammed to about 2400psi. As such I know that with almost any tank my crossover depth on air is about 50'.

IOW above 50' I'm air limited and watch the pressure gauge and don't worry too much about reserving air for deco. In this case about 200psi (enough for about 10 minutes @ 10 ft at rest) at the stop under the boat is plenty. Away from the boat, or with the boat location not confirmed within the 400-800 psi window I'll reserve more. Below 50' I'm time limited and watch the clock or computer. I also reserve considerably more gas for a potential deco liability. The nicest part about Nitrox is that it pushes the crossover depth down to a more reasonable 80' or so. In either case 20-50 psi on the boat is plenty.

FT

99.999% of my dives are in caves or mines. I turn at thirds and should therefore arrive back at the surface with each cylinder having one third of the starting pressure. If decompression is needed then I'll factor this in, or take a stage tank. Err on the side of caution....I'd rather surface with loads of gas rather than not surface at all.

Duncan

Duncan Price? What are you doing here? Welcome and BTW I appreciate the sidemount info.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom