What air level indicates your dive is done?

At what air volume do you decide to end your dive?

• 500 PSI

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • 600 PSI

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 700 PSI

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • 800 PSI

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 900 PSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000 PSI

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • 1100 PSI

• 1200 PSI

• 1300 PSI

• 1400 PSI

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 50 PSI

• 100 PSI

• 200 PSI

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • 300 PSI

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • 400 PSI

• 14.7 PSI is OK for me

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • When Im sucking the paint off the OUTSIDE of the Tank!

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use 1/3 of the tank to get somewhere, 1/3 to get back, and the last 1/3 for the safety stop + as a reserve (as a rule).

I would figure it like this:

ascent from 70 to 20 feet=100 sec
call it 2 min at avg of 2.5 ata
assume .5 SAC that is 5cuFt per diver

PLUS 3 min at safety stop plus ascent to surface
is 3cuft per diver (with fudge)

that is 8cu/FT per diver, or 16 total.

However, the safety stop (IMO) is something I will bypass in a share air emergency. A rock bottom for me from 70 feet in good diving conditions is 10cuFt, which is 300psi with a HP120 or 400 with an AL80. This is a good fudge for my buddy and I, as her SAC is around .33 and mine is .51.

We increase this for weather, viz, currents, depth, temperature and other factors. I set the alarm on my computer to give me 300psi at the surface with a 120. This usually causes me to begin ascent at around 550 or so from 60 feet.

I have yet to go past the 40 mark. I do lot of shore diving. Most places are no more than 20 feet. Usually around the 700-500 mark were done.

ascending. I usually have more than enough air for safety stops and a good reserve. I have not taken a tank back with less than 300psi.

It all depends on what depth you are at, and whether doing a decompression dive or not.

I think that this completely depends on depth. If I am 80 ft down, I'm going to start my ascent when someone hits 1100lbs. If I am diving much shallower...say 40 ft....I probably won't start my ascent until someone in my group is at about 800lbs. Really a function of depth, who is consuming more air, and how comfortable the divers you are with are.

However, my normal buddy always have a back-up plan for our "technical "training dives....deep as we can for as long as we can....then inflate the BC and shoot the the surface like a rocket....I think our record is someone launching a good 8 feet out of the water....:haha:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom