What accessories do you need for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First known as "fixe-palmes" ("fin fixers"), these three-way straps were patented by Paul Beuchat of French diving equipment manufacturer Beuchat back in 1960. The patent is reproduced below in the original French and in a rough English translation I made:
Two Beuchat advertisements. The first is dated 1959, revealing that the device was on sale a year before the publication of the patent. The second from 1961 illustrates the fixe-palmes in action in choppy waters, maintaining closed-heel fins on feet.
Now known as fin grips, fin retainers and fin keepers, they come in various sizes and are available in a spectrum of colours designed to contrast with fin colour in Japan, where the following were made by diving equipment manufacturer Ikari:
View attachment 756944
The following silicone examples are currently available at approximately $5.99 post-free on eBay:
In the US, most of the ones shipping from china end up being about $7.

Here's the scuba-choice version, about $9 (they also have red and yellow). They don't have a size-chart, but from what I've seen, US-men-9 is medium, and US-11 is large. ScubaChoice tends to be similar to the unbranded products from china, but their products seem to always be of reasonable quality. Cresi has them as well, for about $9 and good review. IST has them for around $10

Would they not really work for open-heel fins? I guess the bottom strap would be holding onto nothing.
swimfintethers.jpg
That would be my conclusion too. Surfers tend to use tethers to secure their non-adjustable open-heel fins in choppy waters (above).
1670159993217.jpeg
Incidentally, I discovered online a while ago that fin retainers can be worn either inside or outside fins (see above). This from Amazon: "These rubber straps wrap over the top of the foot and around the heel and ankle, providing a quick and easy fix for slightly loose full foot pocket fins. Wear them over dive socks or dive booties inside full foot fins to add a little thickness and friction inside the foot pocket. Alternatively, wear them around the outside of the fin to secure the fin firmly to the foot".

Further to sizing issue, found online:
1670161036071.png

swimfintethers.jpg
That would be my conclusion too. Surfers tend to use tethers to secure their non-adjustable open-heel fins in choppy waters (above).
Incidentally, I discovered online a while ago that fin retainers can be worn either inside or outside fins (see above). This from Amazon: "These rubber straps wrap over the top of the foot and around the heel and ankle, providing a quick and easy fix for slightly loose full foot pocket fins. Wear them over dive socks or dive booties inside full foot fins to add a little thickness and friction inside the foot pocket. Alternatively, wear them around the outside of the fin to secure the fin firmly to the foot".

Further to sizing issue, found online:
Looking at the top photo, a DIY lanyard out of paracord and a "cord lock" would do the trick for open-heel fins.

For the closed-heel fins, there usually isn't a hole or similar to tile onto or around. I might have to pierce a hole in them.

Perhaps others can answer. I do wear full-foot fins sometimes as mention above, and they work fine while in the water, and aren't really any noticeably different during the dive.

Some of the advantages of open-heel are:
  • They're a little easier to slip off while in the water, with full scuba-gear, gloves, etc, especially if you have spring-straps.
  • You can wear dive-boots. Dive-boots are many times nicer for walking on many surfaces (rocks, gravel, pavement, etc).

No reason not to as long as they are appropriate for the diving he is doing and provide enough power with the type of equipment he is wearing and the conditions he is diving in.

1670185031187.png
Computer, Computer, Compass, BU Light, Jon Line, Mesh Bag, Signal Mirror, Whistle, Inflator Horn, DSMB, Spool, SMB, Mini Spool, Wet Notes, Spare Mask, Snorkel, Rescue Mask, Dual BC, Sidemount, AI transmitters, SPGs, Line Cutter, Knife, Trauma Shears, GoPro on tray with two lights.

Attachments

• 1670185027401.png
    1670185027401.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
My girlfriend's permission......
A girlfriend whose permission was necessary, would quickly find herself over here:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom