What accessories do you need for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A slate.
Because there are some obscenities that don’t have a sign yet.
Just use the F-word or hand-signal (🖕🖕). It's one of the most versatile words in the English language.

Obscenity warning (obviously):

Yellow_fin_grip_retaining_a_Technisub_Ala_swimming_fin_on_the_foot.jpg
Fin grips to keep my full-foot fins secure when snorkelling in the choppy waters of the North Sea.

Yellow_fin_grip_retaining_a_Technisub_Ala_swimming_fin_on_the_foot.jpg
Fin grips to keep my full-foot fins secure when snorkelling in the choppy waters of the North Sea.
If anyone is looking for something like this, also try the term "fin keeper." I had some trouble getting good results with "fin grips."

The cost is about $10-$12 depending on brand, I may just have to get some for my save-a-dive kit, given most of my dives don't need them, but I might occasionally run into the dive that does.

I may just have to get some for my save-a-dive kit, given most of my dives don't need them, but I might occasionally run into the dive that does.

You wear full foot fins while scuba?

If anyone is looking for something like this, also try the term "fin keeper." I had some trouble getting good results with "fin grips."

The cost is about $10-$12 depending on brand, I may just have to get some for my save-a-dive kit, given most of my dives don't need them, but I might occasionally run into the dive that does.
Any freediving site should have those.

Maybe we need to charge more?

First known as "fixe-palmes" ("fin fixers"), these three-way straps were patented by Paul Beuchat of French diving equipment manufacturer Beuchat back in 1960. The patent is reproduced below in the original French and in a rough English translation I made:

1670135118459.jpeg

1670135236586.jpeg
Two Beuchat advertisements. The first is dated 1959, revealing that the device was on sale a year before the publication of the patent. The second from 1961 illustrates the fixe-palmes in action in choppy waters, maintaining closed-heel fins on feet.
1670135319026.jpeg
Now known as fin grips, fin retainers and fin keepers, they come in various sizes and are available in a spectrum of colours designed to contrast with fin colour in Japan, where the following were made by diving equipment manufacturer Ikari:
1670136083902.jpeg

The following silicone examples are currently available at approximately $5.99 post-free on eBay:
1670136708657.png

You wear full foot fins while scuba?
Occasionally, though I'd prefer not to. The full-foot ScubaPro Seawing Novas are nearly identical to the scuba-version, but half the price. I'm currently watching the used market to see if a pair of the Gorilla (open-heel) version pops up.

Would they not really work for open-heel fins? I guess the bottom strap would be holding onto nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom