What about force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SassyScubaGal

Registered
Reaction score
In the heart of the Rocky Mountains, Colorado!
# of dives
Anyone know anything about "force fins"? Was recently on a live-aboard & all the Europeans were wearing them (and loved them)... Tried a SB search of the forums but must be doing it wrong-- All I got was a lot of stuff about "force" and about "fins"... But nothing on "force fins."

They are a product of extremes... you'll either love them or hate them. Our customers that love them even try to convert others over to them.

Force fins have been around for a long time, they just never seemed to get much acceptance here in the States. They were marketed out of Santa Barbara, I don't know if they still are.

Very pricey. People who use them love them, I mean really love them fanatically, but they take some getting used to. (the fins, not the people)

I tried them years ago, did not like them, price keeps me from trying them again. Plus, there is something about the design that I do not find aesthetically pleasing, but that is a matter of personal taste. According to people I know, I have none:confused:

I tried them before and I did NOT like them at all. I have a friend who uses them and he will not use anything else. He used them when he got certified in Japan.

I have a friend that has some. I tried his once. They seemed to work better with short stroke kicks. Unlike splits, back kicking with them was possible. They did seem to feel quicker than paddles but I doubt they could provide much torque. Most of the resistance seemed to be on the downstroke. The best way I can think of to descibe the feel is "just plain weird".
Personaly, I'de call them better than splits but not as good as old fashioned paddles. (I'm biased towards paddles.)
If you like the control of a paddle - stick to paddles.
If you like effortless feel of splits - stick to splits.
If you think you'de like something somewhere in between, see if you can barrow a pair from someone and give them a try in a pool.
I would'nt recommend buying a pair without trying them first. I hear they're a little pricey.

My girlfriend had Tusa X-pert zoom split fins and still has force fin pros and jetfins. On first try she didn't like the force fins, but after a few more dives she ditched the zooms for them (zooms were too big and buoyant). I'm still trying to get her to switch to the jets and frogkick, but so far she prefers the force fins because they work better for her than the other two fins, and because she likes to travel light. They are not good for frogkicking though.

I bought a pair of the black PRO model last year. Like em. First time I ever bought any piece of dive gear and got a letter from the president of the company thanking me for my purchase.

Was a Rocket Fin wearer prior to that. My dives are all in tropical waters and I carry camera. Rarely need to swim fast or long distances.

Yes, they look a bit strange as compared with tradition fins but sometimes different isn't all that bad.

See if you can borrow or rent a pair and then decide ...

I once posted that force fins are alot like riding a stationary bike, you pedal yer *** off and get no where, Like others have said, You either love'm or hate'm,
The only nice thing I can say is that you can actually walk forward in them as opposed to regular fins.

The search function here is crippled. Use Google like this: [GOOGLE]"Force Fin" site:scubaboard.com[/GOOGLE]

As others have said, it is a "religious issue" and pretty much everything that can be said has been said. Generally, if you kick like a swimmer you will probably like them (but their scuba fins are not good for surface swimming). Best to find someone who can loan you a pair or a shop that rents them (rare). I have both the original shaped Pro model and the differently shaped Excellerating model. Personally, the Excellerating is the best all-around fin I have used. I think Leisure Pro was the cheapest place to get Force Fins but still not cheap since you have to pay for the secretary to send you the letter thanking you for buying them. :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom