What about flare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. It is not. Still haven’t chosen the best waterproof canister.

Concerned does not mean worried. All that I can do to dive safer, I will take it. I have dived very challenging conditions without being fully aware of the possible consequences and I try to master as many variables I can. Isn’t it what we all try to do?
Absolutely.

Talking it through on here -- all these people with opinions! -- really helps. Not just you, but us too as we think through the issues.

Thinking about it, for a night dive the best light for that would be a decent omni-beam (360 degree) strobe would be great. Use one for marking shot lines and they're incredibly bright and not too expensive either (until I lost one to Neptune's Locker and had to replace it -- none on ebay!). This one dives with me on most dives. Cheap(ish), bright, reliable.

There's one manufacturer and it's frequently branded -- buy a 1000 of them and they'll put whatever you like on them. £120/€140/$160 or less on eBay/whatever. You can't look directly at it when it's flashing -- very bright. Also has a "on" option, so lights up a room.

A 30-gallon white garbage bag (and a flashlight)......

"blow" that bag up, and stick a flashlight in the bottom, and the globe of light is fantastic!

It also is basically miniscule to store...

....in Thailand ...... no knowledge on flare.
Airplane >> TSA >>Fire breathing Flare >>> Handcuffs

Atleast they will let you on board with an underwater green laser...... {ps. I carry one on dives}

A 30-gallon white garbage bag
USCG loves this economical solution

@Dody ,,If you PM me your mailing address, I'll send you this pre-made solution below.
GarbageBg_flat.jpg
GarbageBg_Sealed.JPG

No. It is not. That’s another problem. I don’t have the time to design a special canister. But all I see out of the shelves is either too bulky or unreliable.

Seriously, if you're that worried, don't go diving.

Or dive in an organised group.

Do recommend you've got two decent torches on the basis if it's important, bring two. If you're in the water alone, you'll see the boat lights and just point your torch at them to let them know. They generally like to count back the same number of divers as were counted out, so won't leave without you.

Many torches have a strobe mode which is good for attracting attention.

The Lifelines et al are OK-ish. The satellite ones aren't so good as the message needs to get from the satellite network to the local coastguard and to your boat... The older Nautilus marine radio versions were better in that you could talk to your boat on channel 16 as long as it's not too far away and it also does an AIS alert if you push the button; setting off alarms on any boat equipped with AIS radios.

I've actually got a Nautilus Marine radio version. Took it with me once or twice before realising it's of very little practical use when a man-sized SMB waved around is far better. Really ought to sell the thing -- like a load of other stuff in my dive garage.

Big stiff SMB. Good torch. Maybe a whistle in the pocket, but not that useful.
Fear is a natural feeling. Danger is everywhere in our lives. But we humans are « programmed » to overcome it. Since I was a child, I have always been afraid of sharks. I am afraid of big cats. I am afraid of venomous snakes. I am not afraid of humans even though they are probably the most dangerous 😁. My african home is a 2 acres land in the middle of a virgin forest. I could be in a condo in the city center. When I decided 18 months ago to learn and do scuba diving, nobody pushed me. It was my choice.
You can’t tell me: if you are afraid, don’t go diving.

For once, I'm with Dody on this one. Striving to be safe does not mean being afraid. I sail solo, and I'm not afraid, but I make sure to have a vest, a harness, a life raft, a good VHF with DSC, flares, and a PLB available (which I actually use and/or wear depends, of course, on the situation).

When I go diving in big oceans with unknown dive shops, I bring a PLB. I'm not afraid, and I don't think it's likely at all that I'll be left behind alone at sea -- but it could happen, and I can mitigate the risk a bit, so I do. I don't give it a second thought when actually out there diving, it's just one more tool available should worst come to worst.

When I hear of flares, I think of Titanic survivors in a lifeboat, not a diver!

But yeah. Trying to dive with flares seems all kinds of counterproductive, really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom