What about flare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spent the last week browsing the SB thread on incidents. I am planning a week diving in Thailand next month. I am not particularly scared but I believe that prevention is key. In the event when you are lost at see, people are looking for you and it is night time, why couldn’t we use a flare? I have seen posts talking about dye. I have absolutely no knowledge on flare. Maybe, you can’t dive with them or it will not withstand pressure but I guess that it would be useful at night. Wouldn’t it?

I spent the last week browsing the SB thread on incidents. I am planning a week diving in Thailand next month. I am not particularly scared but I believe that prevention is key. In the event when you are lost at see, people are looking for you and it is night time, why couldn’t we use a flare? I have seen posts talking about dye. I have absolutely no knowledge on flare. Maybe, you can’t dive with them or it will not withstand pressure but I guess that it would be useful at night. Wouldn’t it?
Almost useless, 1) can't fly on aircraft with any kind of pyrotechnics, 2) lasts under 10seconds 3) has to be kept dry-ish (not significantly submerged) 4) the small ones which you can potentially carry in a dive canister are also a lot dimmer and smaller than you realize 5) not especially visible in daylight which is the only time pangeas are going to be out diving and or looking for you anyway.

If you are lost overnight in Thailand having a good dive light is your best option, PLB would be next. During daylight a really large SMB and also a PLB.

I recently purchased a Nautilus Lifeline GPS and an ACS PLB but given the 24 hours battery life, I don’t think it is bulletproof. I would use the Nautilus first then the PLB thus expect to be rescued within 48 hours.
So flare is no-go 😭

If you are prepared, you would actually be easier to find at night. But the people searching for you need to know you are prepared.

A light shining on an SMB and glowing at night is way more obvious than just hi-vis one near sunset when the glare is blinding everyone. If there is air support looking for you, a cyalume on a string and swung around in a circle above your head is easy to spot. If they have night vision, they can see you from miles away if you are illuminated somehow.

But if they don't know you can light yourself up, the search will be called off at dark. Tell the captain what you have.

Is the acs plb waterproof?
I say no to a flare aswell. Get a good backup light, that has a long battery time. And a dsmb.

I recently purchased a Nautilus Lifeline GPS and an ACS PLB but given the 24 hours battery life, I don’t think it is bulletproof. I would use the Nautilus first then the PLB thus expect to be rescued within 48 hours.
So flare is no-go 😭
Seriously, if you're that worried, don't go diving.

Or dive in an organised group.

Do recommend you've got two decent torches on the basis if it's important, bring two. If you're in the water alone, you'll see the boat lights and just point your torch at them to let them know. They generally like to count back the same number of divers as were counted out, so won't leave without you.

Many torches have a strobe mode which is good for attracting attention.

The Lifelines et al are OK-ish. The satellite ones aren't so good as the message needs to get from the satellite network to the local coastguard and to your boat... The older Nautilus marine radio versions were better in that you could talk to your boat on channel 16 as long as it's not too far away and it also does an AIS alert if you push the button; setting off alarms on any boat equipped with AIS radios.

I've actually got a Nautilus Marine radio version. Took it with me once or twice before realising it's of very little practical use when a man-sized SMB waved around is far better. Really ought to sell the thing -- like a load of other stuff in my dive garage.

Big stiff SMB. Good torch. Maybe a whistle in the pocket, but not that useful.

If you are prepared, you would actually be easier to find at night. But the people searching for you need to know you are prepared.

A light shining on an SMB and glowing at night is way more obvious than just hi-vis one near sunset when the glare is blinding everyone. If there is air support looking for you, a cyalume on a string and swung around in a circle above your head is easy to spot. If they have night vision, they can see you from miles away if you are illuminated somehow.

But if they don't know you can light yourself up, the search will be called off at dark. Tell the captain what you have.
Thanks. I would not expect that rescuers have night vision googles. Nothing to do with night time but in daylight, I am surprised that no one talks about boat crew having binoculars. They say, a 6 feet DSMB can be seen a mile away. The curve of the earth is irrelevant in short distances bit binoculars could offset the limitations of the eyes.

Thanks. I would not expect that rescuers have night vision googles. Nothing to do with night time but in daylight, I am surprised that no one talks about boat crew having binoculars. They say, a 6 feet DSMB can be seen a mile away. The curve of the earth is irrelevant in short distances bit binoculars could offset the limitations of the eyes.
Depends upon the waves.

Also the SMB needs to be a thick one. A itty-bitty skinny one isn't going to be as easy to see as a big thick one. And make sure your name and phone number's written on it -- in case it's lost at sea someone could phone you to check you're OK.

Seriously, if you're that worried, don't go diving.

Or dive in an organised group.

Do recommend you've got two decent torches on the basis if it's important, bring two. If you're in the water alone, you'll see the boat lights and just point your torch at them to let them know. They generally like to count back the same number of divers as were counted out, so won't leave without you.

Many torches have a strobe mode which is good for attracting attention.

The Lifelines et al are OK-ish. The satellite ones aren't so good as the message needs to get from the satellite network to the local coastguard and to your boat... The older Nautilus marine radio versions were better in that you could talk to your boat on channel 16 as long as it's not too far away and it also does an AIS alert if you push the button; setting off alarms on any boat equipped with AIS radios.

I've actually got a Nautilus Marine radio version. Took it with me once or twice before realising it's of very little practical use when a man-sized SMB waved around is far better. Really ought to sell the thing -- like a load of other stuff in my dive garage.

Big stiff SMB. Good torch. Maybe a whistle in the pocket, but not that useful.
Concerned does not mean worried. All that I can do to dive safer, I will take it. I have dived very challenging conditions without being fully aware of the possible consequences and I try to master as many variables I can. Isn’t it what we all try to do?

Back
Top Bottom