What about Dallas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A girlfriend has FINALLY agreed to get certified and she's in Dallas. She got a quote for certification that was pretty steep, and she had to buy her entire kit from the shop....

so here I am at the other end of Texas trying to locate a good dive shop to refer her to for certification.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!

I'd be skeptical of any shop that is insisting that you must purchase all of your gear there simply for basic OW certification. Most basic certifications run between $150 and $300, but also depends upon the certifying org and what is included in the class.

cowdog77:
My girlfriend has FINALLY agreed to get certified and she's in Dallas. She got a quote for certification that was pretty steep, and she had to buy her entire kit from the shop....so here I am at the other end of Texas trying to locate a good dive shop to refer her to for certification. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

I read back through a few of your previous posts and it looks like you have purchased a few items from Scubatoys. Have you tried them yet? What do you consider "steep" for an openwater class? When you say you had to purchase the "entire kit" do you mean masks, fins, snorkel, boots or all of the gear like BCD, regulator, etc.? We can give you some suggestions but they may not help if we are only giving you shops that may be charging about the same, or have the same buying requests. Is your girlfriend in North, East, West or South Dallas? Maybe we can give you an idea of a closer shop to her location or work.

You also need to ask what does the quote include. Some include books, some don't.

Shops also offer different schedules that may work better than the two consecutive weekend courses.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
You also need to ask what does the quote include. Some include books, some don't.

Shops also offer different schedules that may work better than the two consecutive weekend courses.

TwoBit

They also may have quoted her on a private class vs group instruction.

Depending on what part of the metroplex she is in, there are good shops around. You can also tell a good shop that works with Swampers, if they are part of this Forum (ie, DebraW)

Good tip and good lead!

I gave her the website and told her to follow-up on it if she wants to join our Cozumel trip group this summer! Thanks ~

CenTexDivin:
I'd be skeptical of any shop that is insisting that you must purchase all of your gear there simply for basic OW certification. Most basic certifications run between $150 and $300, but also depends upon the certifying org and what is included in the class.

You know...I was at a shop today and overheard the guy mention that the people would have to buy the gear from them (basic gear).....for liability reasons... hmmm I wonder if you already had your gear, if you could take classes through them...

Kenny

Ten9T6:
You know...I was at a shop today and overheard the guy mention that the people would have to buy the gear from them (basic gear).....for liability reasons... hmmm I wonder if you already had your gear, if you could take classes through them... Kenny

You have got to be kidding! What liability reasons!!! I would have to ask to read that insurance contract. Un- freaking believable!

Back
Top Bottom