what a cool dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last night I hooked up with OE2X for a dive at Cove 2. We ran into a couple of friends (Chris & Kricket) and decided to head down to the dolphins at about 100 fsw to check for octopus (usually a good place to find them). OE2X had some issues with his light, so we told the two of them to go ahead down and we'd meet them at the dolphins ... which we did.

As we started down the dolphins, the two of us stopped to check out an octopus that was obviously in its last stages of life (very gray), while the two of them continued to the deeper end. Suddenly they were flashing to get our attention. Heading down, Kricket looked at me and signaled the number "3", and pointed down with her light. Looking where she pointed, there were three large octopus laying outside the pilings. Upon closer inspection I concluded that this was a social gathering that only two of them were going to be happy with, so the four of us hovered around for a while (at about 105 fsw) to see what would happen. Eventually the largest of the three (maybe 9-10 feet tip-to-tip) started making his way down to the very end of the piling. OE2X and I followed him down and watched him slither inside. Heading back up to the other two, we watched as they embraced and started mating. After a few minutes, Chris & Kricket signaled they were heading back up (they had much less gas than the two of us), and a minute or so later we decided to head cross-cove toward the I-beams.

On the way across, I found another octopus (small one) poking his head out of a hole in the bottom. We watched him watching us for a minute or so and proceeded to the rock pile where we hoped to find the resident wolf eel. OE2X had found an urchin along the way and was hoping to offer her dinner. We found her, and she was most appreciative of the urchin ... in fact, the speed she moved coming out of the den led me to believe she was downright hungry.

Moving along we did a tour of the I-beams. The plumose anemones are out in full bloom again, sometimes so thick it's hard to see if there are any critters hiding around their stems. Making our way back upslope we got to the jackstraw pilings at about 60 fsw. Along the way, our favorite little pinniped (Junior) made an appearance, buzzing us and creating little silt tornadoes in his wake. At the pilings I found a tiny decorated warbonnet curled up among some scallops. Junior's mom joined the party at that point and we had the pair of seals buzzing around us for a while.

We headed over to the Honey Bear, and lost the seals at the pilings that stick up about 10 feet off the bottom just below the wreckage. Again, the growth of plumose over the past couple of weeks is nothing short of amazing. I pointed out the large mosshead warbonnet in the pipe to OE2X and we did the circuit of the wreckage and headed back toward the cove.

After an extended safety stop (8 minutes or so) we headed in ... 65 minutes at an average depth of 60 fsw ... and feeling really appreciative to have such an eventful dive. I've done well over 300 dives in this cove, and somehow never get tired of the place. This dive was even better than most ...

.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Perhaps the only thing that would have made that dive perfect would have been to have seen a six gill. Otherwise that will rank up there with some of my most memorable dives. The GPO's were outstanding!

Awesome! I'd love to join you guys for a dive if I'm ever up in your neck of the woods... it sounds really spectacular.

Oh. It thought you were going to say that the only thing that would ahve made the dive perfect would have been...
to have me there too. :D

Well... I was able to build and install two bathroom counter tops, a laundry room counter top and a kitchen island counter top as well as trim out all of the above. Plus I did some trim work on a staircase and in general made small scraps of wood out of big expensive pieces of wood.

For all that I ended a 14 hour day at 10pm with my sinuses loaded with sawdust. :D

I got the cure for those sinuses. 100 fsw looking at GPO's.

FWIW - while we were watching those three octos, I kept thinking, it sure would be nice to have the Pugster here. Those three were resplendent in their beauty. If anyone would have appreciated their beauty it would have been you.

Matt - come on out any time. Matter of fact, since I have family in NH, maybe we could work out a trade of sorts. You come out here and I'll show you around and then I'll come back and you take me lobstering!

One day, I will get over my fear of cold water and go with you guys - that sounds so cool!

Snowbear:
Wow Bob! Keep your eyes peeled for eggs :D

Well, the octo eggs under the boat at Redondo are still there, and quite visible if you get your face down near the bottom in just the right place. It would be soooo cool if they started hatching while you're here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MSilvia:
Awesome! I'd love to join you guys for a dive if I'm ever up in your neck of the woods... it sounds really spectacular.

Well, now that I'm diving, I've got to get back to Massachusetts sometime ... I lived there for 23 years. I'll bet the diving up around the Rockport/Annisquam area is pretty worthwhile ... like OE2X said, perhaps an exchange program would be something to consider ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom