What 7mil Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last Call

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am new on here. I was wondering what 7 mil suit would be good. I have a Henderson 7mil wet suit now. I am going to need to get a new one soon. I was looking at the Henderson Aqua Lock suit or the waterproof 7mil. I was just wondering if one is any better then the other. Also will they be any warmer then what I have now. I am in water in the 50 to upper 70.

I would say for those temps I would save the money and purchase a drysuit, you will be a lot warmer and you can extend your dive season to 12 months. There are many deals on drysuits that can be had, DRIS has an Aquasport suit that has some good reviews for $599. You can use some PolarFleece under it to start out and may be all you need.

You might want to consider [if you go w/a wet suit or a dry suit] whether you want a front or back zipper.....

I can attest to the Waterproof W1 (with thin 2mm core warmer) in 49ºF water... I was never cold. Suit is well made. I would buy one again... in fact I have a Henderson 3mm which will probably be replaced by a Waterproof. Only problem with the W1 is getting out of it... you will need your buddy to pull the suit down for you (minor). However, I like having an open zipper in the front between dives. W1 and W2 use different neoprene (W1 is higher quality as I have been told).

The water you dive is IMO considered cold especially the 50 range. Is the current 7mil enought protection for 50 waters? If you are happy i would not bother and get the same 7mil. I use a drysuit in for cold water and long exposures at depth. I use my semi dry (equal to 7 mm) in warmer water when exposure is shorter.

Yes the suit I have now is good. I was just seeing if the other suits would be any better then what I do have.

I live in San Diego and its 7mm wetsuit year round. Water temp is always in the 50s, I dive all year with a 7mm wet suit and I'm never uncomfortable on both beach shore dives and local boat dives. My coldest dive in the last year was 49, I could feel it in on my face but I was fine otherwise. Lots of folks around here dive dry but I'm not sure its worth the $2000+...

My advice is go Dry (we have all kinds of price options), just like most have said! If you are going to go wet, the reviews/customer feedback on the Aqualock have been great and my customers that have gone that way have loved them. Feel free to call me and discuss in more detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom