Whaling thread gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NACHOS!!!!!!!! Now i have a craving and can't get em in Yap either!!!!

I can't shut up but i can take it the thread waaaaaaayyy off track for you!

Mike Veitch:
NACHOS!!!!!!!! Now i have a craving and can't get em in Yap either!!!!

I can't shut up but i can take it the thread waaaaaaayyy off track for you!
Yes. Now if we could just get some of those MOFers over here! :D

grazie42:
the bad thing about eating out in the states is that you can only get decent coffee at starbucks and the only good beer is european...I managed to refrain from typing the ONLY beer...

Actually having spent two weeks in florida earlier this year the only good food was ethnic and seafood...some of the ethnic stuff was a bit too americanized as well (read flavourless and fatty)...steakes were good though...
Oh ... I think you need to travel around the country a bit. The quality of food and drink varies quite a lot from one part to another.

For example, here in the Seattle area (the home of Starbucks) there are coffee shops on every street corner ... and usually one or two in between. Starbucks sure isn't my first choice (can you say "over roasted"?) ... there are a few bean importers in town who bring in their own blends, roast them to order for the independent espresso stands ... and make a far superior (IMO) cup of coffee. This is my personal favorite ... http://www.malinal.com/ ... and you won't find it for sale at any of the larger franchises.

Likewise beer ... the west coast has some excellent microbreweries ... from Vancouver (BC) all the way down to So. Cal you can find excellent local beers and ales. When I lived back east I used to think that Sam Adams was as good as it gets in American beer ... then I came out here and discovered that Americans do, in fact, know how to brew a good beer. They just generally limit the quantities and distribution of the good stuff.

Ethnic food ... northeast for good Italian, northwest for good Asian, and southwest for good Hispanic. There are exceptions, but generally speaking the ethnic food follows the ethnic migrations ... folks bring their best recipes with them when they immigrate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh ... I think you need to travel around the country a bit. The quality of food and drink varies quite a lot from one part to another.

For example, here in the Seattle area (the home of Starbucks) there are coffee shops on every street corner ... and usually one or two in between. Starbucks sure isn't my first choice (can you say "over roasted"?) ... there are a few bean importers in town who bring in their own blends, roast them to order for the independent espresso stands ... and make a far superior (IMO) cup of coffee. This is my personal favorite ... http://www.malinal.com/ ... and you won't find it for sale at any of the larger franchises.

Likewise beer ... the west coast has some excellent microbreweries ... from Vancouver (BC) all the way down to So. Cal you can find excellent local beers and ales. When I lived back east I used to think that Sam Adams was as good as it gets in American beer ... then I came out here and discovered that Americans do, in fact, know how to brew a good beer. They just generally limit the quantities and distribution of the good stuff.

Ethnic food ... northeast for good Italian, northwest for good Asian, and southwest for good Hispanic. There are exceptions, but generally speaking the ethnic food follows the ethnic migrations ... folks bring their best recipes with them when they immigrate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree! I've had some great restaurant food in Seattle. I remember a Chinese restaurant we visited (Northeast it was!). Awsome food with a lot of fish dishes. I also had some very nicely prepared smoked salmon at a "native" restaurant near some water locks. Wonderful taste of it! But frankly it was the only good meal of salmon I had for a year over there...

Atlantic salmon IS much better... :14:

grazie42:
the bad thing about eating out in the states is that you can only get decent coffee at starbucks and the only good beer is european...I managed to refrain from typing the ONLY beer...

Actually having spent two weeks in florida earlier this year the only good food was ethnic and seafood...some of the ethnic stuff was a bit too americanized as well (read flavourless and fatty)...steakes were good though...

your day job to become a food critic...you really haven't a clue.

Starbuck's is a successful franchise, but serves over-priced, mediocre-to-good joe. As far as brew goes, you must be using Coors/Bud/Miller products for your comment? There is a wide variety of excellent craft beers available from various parts of the country.

FL as a yardstick for US culinary excellence, well...you need to broaden your scope a bit.

grazie42:
Not true - you should visit more places than truckstops :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Likewise beer ... the west coast has some excellent microbreweries ... from Vancouver (BC) all the way down to So. Cal you can find excellent local beers and ales....
The west coast extends a bit farther north than Vancouver, BC.....
Alaska has several excellent microbreweries as well :wink:

The best beers are Corona and Shiner Bock. :14:

Snowbear:
The west coast extends a bit farther north than Vancouver, BC.....
:wink:

You mean it goes further south too? I thought Vancouver was the only civilized place on the whole west coast!?! :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom