Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain CaveMan:
Showing everyone that I misses type a word to try to prove that your right about the topic is week....

You must think I am really stupid. Spelling I know is my week area, but hell I don't care.
Its not like I'm taking a spelling test.

Caveman, you aren't taking a spelling test... but you are trying to communicate with fellow human beings. Although I try to overlook grammatical and spelling errors, when I encounter so many in a single post it really does make it much harder to take the person's argument seriously. Perhaps this post was meant in a humorous way.

It does help to use appropriate grammar and spelling when trying to communicate one's points and arguments since there is a much greater chance your points will be taken more seriously by those who read them. Then again, there are a lot of Americans who might not even notice!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a if global worming is killing them than get rid of you 40+ SUV or gas guzzlers car.

i have 2 trucks. one only gets 10mpg at its best. and my other get about 17mpg.

O-NO im killing the whales

O you should see what my other hobbies is. 4x4 in forests that kill bald eagles breading areas. US country boys know how to have fun. man i hate the people that try to stop out 4 wheeling areas because it ruins the natural water supply to the rivers with extra mud and engine oils. lol

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Except despite your best attemtps at spin doctoring, that's not what it says. It points to global warming as the most likely cause of the population drop.

In other words, we are making the planet less habitable for all life.

And you see this sign as an argument for killing the creatures we *do* have left despite their already dropping population?

The inability of the planet to sustain as many Minke whales does not justify polishing them off with whaling ships before we do it with SUV emissions. It indicates we need to find ways to stop global warming AND stop killing Minke whales.

Like I said....get on the cattle farmers and factories and tell them to knock it off with the global warming crap. If global warming is dropping the food supply for the Minkes, and that is dropping the Minke population, then hunting the Minkes in small numbers will actually clear the way for younger Minkes to survive. See "culling".

And as H2 stated above, 2,200 out of 930,000 is sustainable.

Captain CaveMan:
gangrel441-- no matter what we say or believe is going to change the way they feel.

they just want something to complain about. People are never happy with what other nationalities are brought up to believe or do. NOW thats sad.

Is some countries its ok to hit or even kill the women---why don't you fight against that.

Oh jeez you're right i forgot about the noble Japanese tradition of explosive harpoons and factory ships. Othere nations were whaling long before the Japanese but have managed to move on.

drbill:
Caveman, you aren't taking a spelling test... but you are trying to communicate with fellow human beings. Although I try to overlook grammatical and spelling errors, when I encounter so many in a single post it really does make it much harder to take the person's argument seriously. Perhaps this post was meant in a humorous way.

It does help to use appropriate grammar and spelling when trying to communicate one's points and arguments since there is a much greater chance your points will be taken more seriously by those who read them. Then again, there are a lot of Americans who might not even notice!

Spelling and grammar is a area were i have always had trouble. i will admit i had tutors and other help in school. its just something i have a hard time with.

I'm very serious about my posts.

Captain CaveMan:
Hunting is something we have been doing since there has been people on the earth.
I hate going to the store to get meat, you do not know what the animal eat. like (mad cow) got started. true animals in the woods do get sick but nature takes its place and lets the die. hunting animals is safer to eat. nothing like a corn feed deer... we live in corn Fields here in IL.

I agree with you about hunting (or fishing) vs going to the store. I think more people should have the opportunity to capture and dress out their own food rather than get it wrapped in plastic from a grocery store. However, my reasons are so that people understand their place in the food chain and learn to respect the sources of their own sustenance.

Yes, hunting has gone on for a LONG time. And it has caused the extinction of most of the megafauna in North America over that period.

Monkey Knife-fight:
Oh jeez you're right i forgot about the noble Japanese tradition of explosive harpoons and factory ships. Othere nations were whaling long before the Japanese but have managed to move on.

if they still want to do it you cant stop them completely. its there right

Captain CaveMan:
Humuhumunukunukuapua'a if global worming is killing them than get rid of you 40+ SUV or gas guzzlers car.

i have 2 trucks. one only gets 10mpg at its best. and my other get about 17mpg.

O-NO im killing the whales

O you should see what my other hobbies is. 4x4 in forests that kill bald eagles breading areas. US country boys know how to have fun. man i hate the people that try to stop out 4 wheeling areas because it ruins the natural water supply to the rivers with extra mud and engine oils. lol

Can't agree with you there, Cave....those are legitimate concerns. Japanese Minke hunting, on the other hand, is a Greenpeace teddy bear.

Captain CaveMan:
:bubble_fi :11ztongue and you should see how many deer we take here in the midwest too. hundreds a year. i can get up to 4 what about U.

Maybe you guys should think about this a little more before comparing hunting Minke whales to hunting deer. There are tons of deer because we already drove all their natural predators to extinction or near extinction. Thus deer would actually breed to overpopulation. Whales have few predators and are going away because of overhunting/habitat destruction. If we stopped hunting them they wouldn't grow to overpopulation they would still go away because of other factors. Saying hunting them is culling the herd is rediculous and not backed up by any science...only by whalers.

Captain CaveMan:
if they still want to do it you cant stop them completely. its there right

NO it's not their right. They aren't hunting in Japanese waters, and those aren't Japanese whales. They are the world's whales and Japan has no right to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom