Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i just don't see the harm in Japan hunting 940 minke whales, given their
current population levels, sorry. only Iceland and Norway also hunt minkes, both less than Japan, around 600 whales each. So we're talking around 2,200
whales out of 950,000 or so... that is sustainable.

i do hate Japan's smug flaunting of the agreements they've signed. i also
don't like how they call it "scientific" hunting, when that is b.s.

Lol only those are the population numbers given by the same "scientists" who are "studying" these whales. Whalers say almost 1 million minke, conservationists say far fewer.

gangrel441:
Ahh...but Japan is the only country that has such an exemption, and as far as I understand, they are the only country that ever will. And the number of whales that Japan takes in a year is regulated by the treaty. If you are going to argue in hypotheticals, at least try to use feasable ones.

Check my post above. Norway also hunts Minke...though not in numbers near Japan.

gangrel441:
Ahh...but Japan is the only country that has such an exemption, and as far as I understand, they are the only country that ever will. And the number of whales that Japan takes in a year is regulated by the treaty. If you are going to argue in hypotheticals, at least try to use feasable ones.

Thank you. Its ok for them, there not hurting U, so leave them alone

Monkey Knife-fight:
Check your facts dude. It's like you're just using your own knowledge of cetacean ecology.

"There has been an unexpected collapse of in the numbers of the world’s most hunted whale, the minke. Scientists are saying that a sharp contraction in sea ice in Antarctica is the reason. The latest findings say that fallen by nearly half in less than a decade. A count of minke whales in the Southern Ocean around the Antarctic, between 1985 and 1991, were estimated at about 760,000. The latest counts, during the 1990’s, suggest there are now only about 380,000 left. No one knows why their numbers are dropping. Global warming is the main suspect, since krill on which they feed live at the edge of the sea ice."

http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_dgr.htm

Jesus at least have enough respect to check your facts before sounding off. You are putting forward false information as facts. Sounds like Minke are thriving let's kill more!

Chris

Good find. I am especially impressed with the part that mentions that their fall in population is caused by whaling....

oh, wait... :D

So according to this report (which admittedly I overlooked), the cause of the decline in their population is lack of food. Starvation. Which would tell you that the population is growing to fit the size of its food supply.

H2? Wouldn't that mean that the Japanese whaling is actually acting to "cull the herd" much like they do with deer here in the midwest?

Based on the information you just provided, you should be getting on all them factories and cow farms causing the global warming, rather than a few whaling boats.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Is this your opinion or are you going to back up this statement with a link to a credible source?

dude, i gave the source:

H2Andy:
the 2004 figures as i quote, are an estimated 950,000, with a "95% confidence
interval."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minke_whale

ok, whalers say 1,000,000 and conservationists say 400,000... let's split
the baby and split the difference right the middle:

there's about 700,000 minke in the world. hunting 2,200 is not gonna hurt them

gangrel441-- no matter what we say or believe is going to change the way they feel.

they just want something to complain about. People are never happy with what other nationalities are brought up to believe or do. NOW thats sad.

Is some countries its ok to hit or even kill the women---why don't you fight against that.

Captain CaveMan:
Hunting is something we have been doing since there has been people on the earth.
I hate going to the store to get meat, you do not know what the animal eat. like (mad cow) got started. true animals in the woods do get sick but nature takes its place and lets the die. hunting animals is safer to eat. nothing like a corn feed deer... we live in corn Fields here in IL.

Yup and driving animals to extinction has pretty much happened since modern man.

Steller's Sea cow: discovered 1741 extinct 1768
Dodo: extinct by 1755
Moa: extinct around 1500
Cape Lion: extinct by mid 1800's

"They" even think Mammoth extinction was helped by overhunting.

gangrel441:
So according to this report (which admittedly I overlooked), the cause of the decline in their population is lack of food. Starvation. Which would tell you that the population is growing to fit the size of its food supply.

Except despite your best attemtps at spin doctoring, that's not what it says. It points to global warming as the most likely cause of the population drop.

In other words, we are making the planet less habitable for all life.

And you see this sign as an argument for killing the creatures we *do* have left despite their already dropping population?

The inability of the planet to sustain as many Minke whales does not justify polishing them off with whaling ships before we do it with SUV emissions. It indicates we need to find ways to stop global warming AND stop killing Minke whales.

gangrel441:
Good find. I am especially impressed with the part that mentions that their fall in population is caused by whaling....

oh, wait... :D

H2? Wouldn't that mean that the Japanese whaling is actually acting to "cull the herd" much like they do with deer here in the midwest?

Based on the information you just provided, you should be getting on all them factories and cow farms causing the global warming, rather than a few whaling boats.

:bubble_fi :11ztongue and you should see how many deer we take here in the midwest too. hundreds a year. i can get up to 4 what about U.

Back
Top Bottom