Whaleshark trip week of July 18-26?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been doing some digging and so far I haven't found much better rates than what you found. I'm thinking the $185 pp from Playa sounds simple and probably our best bet. I'm going to email Papa Hogs again to see if they know who took their people out for only $100. If we can get that, it would definitely be cost effective to rent a car rather than paying $85 extra per person for maybe 6 people.

As for an overnight in Playa the night before, I'm still up in the air about that. We'd only be getting up an hour earlier to take the ferry accross from CZM. Let me know what you hear. We'll most likely have a laptop with us in CZM so we can keep in touch.
It isn't like I am staying on the other end of town. :wink:

I sent Tank Ha an email yesterday and her is their response.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our dive center.

We prefer the July 22nd date because of the ferry schedules. From Cozumel you would have to take the ferry at 5am to be here for pick up around 6am at the ferry parking lot, Paseo del Carmen which is a 2 minute walk from the ferry dock. That is the closest the van can come for pick-up.

With 6 people the price will be $185usd per person, with 8 people we can give 5%discount, with 9 people we give 1 cortesy.

More information at: Snorkel With Whale Sharks Holbox Island From Playa del Carmen Mexico

To reserve your spots for the whale shark adventure you have 2 possibilities:

1) Follow the reservation procedure below the signature and we charge 30% as deposit. You have to pass by our shop before the planned trip then to confirm pick-up place and time and pay the balance.

2) You send us the name of your hotel with exact address and ask for an e-voucher. We will then charge the complete amount of the adventure on your credit card and send the e-voucher with pick-up details.

If there are more questions after reading this email, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please also read our reservation procedures below.

Kind regards,

Desiree Langenberg
Administration
Tank-Ha Dive Center

It isn't like I am staying on the other end of town. :wink:
Yeah, this is true! We'll have a convertible bug for the week so if we do the early ferry, I can haul 4 of us to the pier.

Thanks Don. A 15 passenger van might be a bit much. Hell, I'd hate to have to find parking for it! :shocked2: If they have something that will seat 6, we'll keep them in mind. I'll go check the link you posted. :wink:

I keep hearing about captains taking people out to the whale sharks from Isla Mujares for $100 which would definitely make it worth driving ourselves, but I can't find any info on them on the net. As of now I'm thinking the $185 including ground transportation sounds the best just to keep it simple.

Everything I have read is that the government sets the prices and the min is $125, and I think the price also depends on where you do it from. Also if you find a cheaper one we need to make sure they have the permits to legally do it. Not to mention do they provide food and drinks.

I sent Tank Ha an email yesterday and her is their response.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our dive center.

We prefer the July 22nd date because of the ferry schedules. From Cozumel you would have to take the ferry at 5am to be here for pick up around 6am at the ferry parking lot, Paseo del Carmen which is a 2 minute walk from the ferry dock. That is the closest the van can come for pick-up.

With 6 people the price will be $185usd per person, with 8 people we can give 5%discount, with 9 people we give 1 cortesy.

More information at: Snorkel With Whale Sharks Holbox Island From Playa del Carmen Mexico

To reserve your spots for the whale shark adventure you have 2 possibilities:

1) Follow the reservation procedure below the signature and we charge 30% as deposit. You have to pass by our shop before the planned trip then to confirm pick-up place and time and pay the balance.

2) You send us the name of your hotel with exact address and ask for an e-voucher. We will then charge the complete amount of the adventure on your credit card and send the e-voucher with pick-up details.

If there are more questions after reading this email, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please also read our reservation procedures below.

Kind regards,

Desiree Langenberg
Administration
Tank-Ha Dive Center

Sounds like we'd have to do the hotel voucher payment no matter what with them. I'm still waiting to hear back from Papa Hogs to see if they can point us to a captain that'll do the water part for $100 and then just rent the Toyota.

Everything I have read is that the government sets the prices and the min is $125, and I think the price also depends on where you do it from. Also if you find a cheaper one we need to make sure they have the permits to legally do it. Not to mention do they provide food and drinks.

Good points.

Good points.

Another good point is that by taking the ground transportation option then everyone can drink as much as they like and not have to worry about driving. Now only the driver would be limited in their drinking so it wouldn't affect me, but I am not much of a drinker (usually) anyway.

Another good point is that by taking the ground transportation option then everyone can drink as much as they like and not have to worry about driving. Now only the driver would be limited in their drinking so it wouldn't affect me, but I am not much of a drinker (usually) anyway.

Not sure if I want to drink early in the morning before the sharks anyway! :D

I'm just thinking we should do the ground transportation one but I still am interested to hear what Papa Hogs has to say, and I'm also curious to hear about the Eco Tours place Alohagal mentioned. Plus I have a little time to kill today. :wink:

I forget, are you going solo, or will you have anyone else with you? What about Firstdive2005? I have two others with me.

We need to start a roll call.

Not sure if I want to drink early in the morning before the sharks anyway! :D

I'm just thinking we should do the ground transportation one but I still am interested to hear what Papa Hogs has to say, and I'm also curious to hear about the Eco Tours place Alohagal mentioned. Plus I have a little time to kill today. :wink:
Alohagal used Tank ha. Eco tours might have been the middle man, but the actual dive op was Tank ha.

Man we need to get 10 people to do this. It would probably mean we have our own boat, plus we only would pay for 9. So with 10 the cost would be about $166 each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom