whale sharks in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone done the whale shark dives at Gladden Spit in Belize? Just curious, because I met a man in Roatan who had come here in May I believe and he was totally disappointed. Said he came nine days after the full moon, when everyone I talk to says the big fish spawns that attract the sharks happens at, and five days after, the full moon. This was my experience also. We saw the spawn of the snappers, which is very spectacular, but no whale sharks under water. Saw six dolphins though and then saw six whale sharks on the surface from the boat. Anyway, I was just curious because I don't like hearing bad things about Belize dive operators. This is a very small country and needs all the divers/tourists it can get. Anyone care the share their experiences here? Please, I don't want to mention the name of the complainer or the operator he was complaining about. Thanks, Hank

Typical whale shark "adventures" involve snorkling with the whale sharks not diving. They feed just under the surface. The best "gaurenteed" place to see them that I have found is Coral Bay and Exmouth Western Australia. They send spotter plans up to find them May-June being the best time (95% chance of seeing one, if you don't see one, you get another attempt free - but it costs about $200 US).

Utila is probably one of the best / cheapest places to see them (Feb-March). Not quite as good a hit rate but they don't have a spotter plane and they just see them from the dive boats - $10 US per tank. Good chance to see them if you dive there for a week during this time but winds need to be low so you can go to the north side of the island.

Gladden Split is not as accessable - you will most likely need to do a liveaboard. Not sure of the hit rate. You also need to see what time of the year they are in this area - not just the full moon.

Other places to see whale sharks - Thialand, Galapagos, Baja California, Sayshelles, ...

Hi All

As from 2005 Deep Blue in Utila is using a spotter plane and in Utila we do snorkel with them and the season is from end of Feb to Beginning of June we even still have a couple around now.

Yesterday i was with one of the smallest Whale Sharks i have ever seen about 7 or 8 ft long

champ:
Gladden Split is not as accessable - you will most likely need to do a liveaboard. Not sure of the hit rate. You also need to see what time of the year they are in this area - not just the full moon.

Other places to see whale sharks - Thialand, Galapagos, Baja California, Sayshelles, ...

Gladden is accessable but it's now a national marine park and you have to pay to go in. It's about 20 miles due east of Placencia and I've been there on my boat a few times. But now they close the park at 5pm, which is about 20 minutes before the action really starts...at least that's what I've been told. The season here is Mar-May and maybe June.
The full moon is when the mutton and another species of snapper mass spawn...like thousands of them...and the sharks come in to feed on the milt and eggs. The water gets white sometimes I hear. Anyway, the guy that I talked to in Roatan went nine days after the full moon, in rough seas and totally got skunked. Nada. I don't blame him for being a bit angry because the operator is pretty reputable but still took then out when the moon phase wasn't right. Hank

What is the cost to swim with the whale sharks with Deep Blue using a spotter plan on Utila?

champ:
What is the cost to swim with the whale sharks with Deep Blue using a spotter plan on Utila?

The project is over for '04, but they're doing it again in '05. It's rather doubtful that any spots are still open, but it can't hurt to inquire. It runs from mid-Mar until the end of Apr and
costs $1795 p/p dbl occ or $1895 sgl occ, not including air.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Those prices seem very high for Utila, but reasonable for a great scuba trip (especially compared to other whale shark destinations). Can people do a day trip with Deep Blue to see the whale sharks or do they need to do the all inclusive week? I wonder if all the other SCUBA boats just follow Deep Blue to swim with the whale shark. I know when I was there, once one of the boat captains found a whale shark, the other's were quick to follow.

Hi

Yes it is true,and we have been told by instuctors at other shops that some do follow Deep Blue But there are some good captains on the island that are very good at finding them, yes anyone can come to our school in whale shark season and get to see them but the resort is a weekly booking

Back
Top Bottom