Whale shark, in a net?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
How about PADI, they are using the PADI 5 star emblem.
ha ha, maybe they'll offer it as a specialty.

alcina:
Thanks for the heads up on this. I have forwarded the site to several people who may be able to help.

BTW - whale sharks are not mammals, they are fish and true sharks. :wink:

This is disgraceful, disrespectful behaviour and I hope to see a quick release.

Oops, and I was trying to be smart about it. :p

The site is based in HK but the operator is definitely Japanese.This photo on the site shows Japanese words.

This has been going on for years. There is even on in an aqaurium in a shopping centre in Japan. Check out the "movie" Jackass in your local video store for footage of the sharks (yes, plural) in the netted enclosure.

Whilst I cannot condone it in anyway, in a perverse sense it could be construed as providing an "educational" opportunity as to inform people of the innocence of the animals amonsgt the non diving community. As previously stated its not as bad a chopping off the fins for a soup flavouring/texture.

"Asian" SF soup imbibers need all the education they can get.

PS Every SF soup shop in bangkok has a dried whaleshark fin in its window.

BTW PADi are very aware of it - thye ran an article about it in their "dive destinations" section, so would be surprised if they would do anything about it.

whitehead:
This has been going on for years. There is even on in an aqaurium in a shopping centre in Japan. Check out the "movie" Jackass in your local video store for footage of the sharks (yes, plural) in the netted enclosure.
Could you provide a link? I'd like to know what the diet of a captive whale shark consists of, and how large the specimens are.

Wow, going on for years huh? That stinks. My impression of Japan's "civilized" state keeps dropping lower and lower. Everytime I think they're on a par with Europe and North America, junk like this gets into the mix. I wonder if any marine ecologists are employed in the country. Heck, even Mexico acts more responsibly!

I think they might be trying to feed it here? The guy appears to be holding a bucket and the white cloud be a swarm of plankton perhaps? I mean the shark does have it's mouth open trying to scoop it up........still not right, but at least they are feeding it.

photo4122004162528.jpg

Probably using krill as feed. That's quite a small specimen in the enclosure.

This sucks... I thought this species was on a CITES threatened list or something.

whitehead:
Whilst I cannot condone it in anyway, in a perverse sense it could be construed as providing an "educational" opportunity as to inform people of the innocence of the animals amonsgt the non diving community. As previously stated its not as bad a chopping off the fins for a soup flavouring/texture.

"Asian" SF soup imbibers need all the education they can get.

PS Every SF soup shop in bangkok has a dried whaleshark fin in its window.

BTW PADi are very aware of it - thye ran an article about it in their "dive destinations" section, so would be surprised if they would do anything about it.

The Aquarium in Osaka used to have 2 whalesharks in captivity but as far as I know one died may be in the last year or two so they certainly cannot be kept for a long period of time for sure.
I am still not sure about keeping in Aquarium, I suppose it does contribute more to education and awareness.
However keeping a whaleshark in captivity so one can go and pet it does not contribute anything to education or awareness of the animal. It just encourage people to think that they can go and pet any animal and disregard of the animal's well being.

Sad but true that sharkfin industry in Thailand is pretty well established and the government certainly is not going to do anything about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom