Whale shark, in a net?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nshon

Contributor
Reaction score
Strange set of photos seen on a Hong Kong site. It seems some Japanese dive operator has captured a Whale shark and put in a net enclosure. Divers handling the mammal as well...... I know the site is in chinese but you should be able to figure out how to scroll through the pictures. Very strange, and it seems very wrong to me!

Site here.

nshon:
Strange set of photos seen on a Hong Kong site. It seems some Japanese dive operator has captured a Whale shark and put in a net enclosure. Divers handling the mammal as well...... I know the site is in chinese but you should be able to figure out how to scroll through the pictures. Very strange, and it seems very wrong to me!

Site here.

Yes it is wrong, they should have used a wide angle strobe for fill light.

I hope someone put the idiot dive operators in a kennel and let people come and pet them.

disgraceful behaviour.....I suppose it makes a change from them choppping the fins off and dumping the carcass back in the sea i suppose........it still doesn't make it right of course!

"Dive with a whale shark, only $XXX!!! "

It's BS, but it wouldn't be the first slick operator making a buck off of exploiting creatures. The whale shark cannot survive indefinitely in the enclosure, there are insufficient food sources to maintain it there.

Kharma... what we give out tends to come back around.

Perhaps some payback will be extracted from the dive operator some day...

I had a Labrador Retriever from birth until she died. She loved me and would always stay by my side, wherever I went. Show me a whale shark that does that and I'd say it's OK to keep it fenced in.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have forwarded the site to several people who may be able to help.

BTW - whale sharks are not mammals, they are fish and true sharks. :wink:

This is disgraceful, disrespectful behaviour and I hope to see a quick release.

Thanks Alcina... glad you have contacts. Keep us posted. This is just disgraceful!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom