Whale @ McAbee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srcalDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I showed up at McAbee beach this morning knowing my buddy would not be able to make it and hoping I could dive with someone else. I met Brian, a Pacific Grove local, in the same situation.

We geared up and began our dive ~10:30am, kick out past the first reef in search of a big wall on a 40deg bearing. Water clarity was outstanding, 30-40 feet. We didn't find it, but we did find a huge set of blocks @ 50 fsw.

We were loitering around the blocks, about 30 min into the dive, when a 20-25 foot juvenile gray whale zoomed out of the haze in our direction. He passed within 20 feet of us and was headed to deeper water in a hurry.

We hovered and scanned all around us just in case he decided to come back and check us out, but he was gone.

So what was it like seeing something that large swim that close???

MG

Overwhelming. The experience made me realize that I'm an observer down there.

Did you react right away and know that it was a large mammal and nothing more? Does it look like a Sealion only tons bigger? Does it move at lightening speed that you blink and it's gone?

I'm really touched that you got that experience, I really don't know how I would feel other than oh my!!! @#@$% what was that???

Just don't know until it happens to you...

Did you react right away and know that it was a large mammal and nothing more? Does it look like a Sealion only tons bigger? .

Did the Landlord come to mind?

Wow.....the tumblers of the Universe aligned for you to be underwater at that exact location and moment of your life to create a lifetime memory.

I can hear the kid whale now.........."Mom! MOM! I saw ALIENS!!!!!!"

I was the missing buddy! Story of my life..

Greg, once again I apologize..Im glad it all worked out! What a day!
You are a lucky man!

Drew

I was the missing buddy! Story of my life..

Greg, once again I apologize..Im glad it all worked out! What a day!
You are a lucky man!

Drew

I spotted it just as it broke through the haze to my right and it was headed directly toward me, but offset by about 20 feet. I watched it disappear in deeper water to my left after it passed. I had whale on the mind because of the earlier Breakwater siting posts, so I assumed that's what it was. It's nothing like a sea lion in that it swam in a straight line with no weaving.

The whale seemed to be frightened because it streaked pasts us with out pausing to check us out, though I don't know if that's what a whale would choose to do. Because he was so focused on reaching deeper water I did start looking for the Landlord in hot pursuit.

The experience confirms that I have the opportunity to see anything during a Monterey shore dive, including the Landlord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom