Whale Day in Kihei, Maui; Sat. the 17th, all day!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha Ohana,

Don't forget to come down to Kihei and check out the Pacific Whale Foundation's annual Whale Day event. It's happening all day tomorrow (Feb. 17th) in Kalama Park, just south of the giant humpback whale stature. It starts off with the Parade of Whales (look for the SCUBABUS and the Double Bubble Mermaids!!) at 9:00 and then continues all day with great food, arts and crafts booths and hours and hours of Live Music! It's always a fun day for the whole family. Anyone who's here on Maui should definitely attend.

We'll have a Shaka Divers booth mixed in there somewhere too so please stop by and say hello! I hope to see many of you there! Admission is free and parking is limited but you can get a free shuttle bus from Azeka's. It'll be "SHAKA-RIFIC!"

P2177603_edited-1.jpg

P2177608.JPG

fullsize: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=69286
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=69285

Nice shots Charlie! Mahalo for posting them here. I hope you enjoyed the parade and the festivities afterwards.

I had a really fun time driving the bus but didn't get a chance to see any other parade action. How were the other groups? Did they have the life size inflatable whale again?

I hope everyone on the sidelines enjoyed their free bubble bath, compliments of my "Double~Bubble Mermaids". We had a very good showing and took another First Place finish. "Thank You" to everyone who made it possible and thanks again Charlie for the pics.

Man, I Love Whale Day!!!

Hey guys, I own a dive center in Roatan Honduras and I'm flying through Hawaii in March. I would really like to dive with big stuff, whales mantas etc..
Any ideas?
Is it legal to dive/freedive with the humpback whales or is it mostly just watching from the surface?
Any help would be appreciated.

The law here is we are not allowed to get closer than 100 yards (~90m) to Humpback Whales. This also includes positioning yourself in their path or using wind/current to drift closer. Violators could have all their gear confiscated (boat, cameras, dive gear, etc.) and be fined up to $10,000 usd.

Every winter there are a few lucky dive groups that whales show themselves to underwater. Most Maui dive boat excursions in March see whales while on the surface. Sometimes the whales come close to the boats.

There are many Mantas in Maui waters in the winter, and year round for the night dives off Kona (big Island).

Het doug nice pic's of scuba bus,You made a video of are underwater mermaid wedding,2004. The mermaid on the bus looks like are reverend. Doug does a great job if you want your underwater wedding filmed. SHAKA BUDDY.

DOUG JUST LEFT YOUR SITE CONGRATS ON WORLD RECORD BUBBLE RING. When I show are wedding video people are amazed, and say did you do that. They know I'm fantastic unerwater no matter of condition,depth, cave,rescue,work, But I will never be able to master the bubble ring like you do. SHAKA SHAKA TO YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom