World Whale Day 2013 is coming up!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to put an announcement up that World Whale Day (yep, that's what they call it now!) is coming up pretty soon here on Maui. It will be held on Saturday Feb 16th all day at Kalama Park in Kihei. It's really a lot of fun. The day starts with the Parade of Whales at 9 am and lasts all day until 7 pm. The Kalama Park will have a stage with live music featuring several well known local acts. There are food booths, craft fairs, educational tents and much more. I am bringing my SCUBABUS and a trailer load of Mermaids with me and you can find me in the parade. This will be my 11th year participating in it and we always have a grand time.

This years theme is "SAVE OUR SEAS"

It is put on by the Pacific Whale Foundation. This is what I pulled from their site:

A signature event of the Maui Whale Festival, and one of Maui's most popular events for 33 years, World Whale Day is a free, all-day celebration that honors the humpback whales that come to Maui each winter. Hosted by the nonprofit Pacific Whale Foundation, World Whale Day begins at 9 am with Maui's Parade of Whales (see separate listing), followed by live entertainment on the main stage by top Hawai’i recording stars and children's entertainment on a second stage. The day also features great food by Maui restaurants, a children's carnival, a huge "Made on Maui" artisans fair, environmental displays and more. The festivities at World Whale Day start at 10 am and end at 6:00 pm at Kalama Park in Kihei (across from Foodland on South Kihei Road). Last year, more than 18,000Maui residents and visitors attended.

Here's a link to the webpage:

Maui's Parade of Whales | pacificwhale.org

Please come share in the fun with us. I'm still recruiting mermaids for the float too so if you know anyone willing to ride along, have them contact me.

This is a family friendly event and is attended by thousands of people. Last year I heard there were around 18,000 attendees!!! I need to make sure I don't run out of bubbles!!

2-16-08 Whale Day Parade 040.jpgWhale Day 2002 Shaka Doug blowing bubbles.JPG

I just found a local source for 7 more of my favorite, battery-less bubble guns!! These are the best kind and I haven't seen them in stores for about 5 years!! I'm stoked! I bought all 7!! Bring your foul weather gear to the parade! My float is gonna be EXTRA BUBBLY this year!!!

Isn't anyone from SB coming to the parade? You should see my mermaids this year!!! Yowza!!! They don't call them "Double~Bubble" for nothing!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom