Whale attacks fishing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WC,
You said it best... it makes me wonder what goes through the mind of our heroic "Eco-warriors" when you hear of tragic news like this. It amazes me that these fisherman were trying to save the life of this whale... and yet some compassionate animal lover is celebrating the death of a fellow human... again. Wow.

Wildcard:
As I just pointed out, NO NETS! Even if he did a boat of that size carries nothing that would even slow down a whale. Before you shoot your illinformed liberal mouth of again at least take a second to LOOK! Have you ever even been in the ocean? i think not.

I'm sorry, for now on I will have to put (sarcastic) next to everything. Its obvious to anyone who is not legally blind that there are 2 guys and a line to tie their boat off in their boat. And for the comment about wondering how many whales die, there was a period there seperating the two thoughts, again next time I'll make it a new paragraph. A boat that size can slow down a whale, again, whales aren't all 30"+ 5,000+lbs. There are smaller ones. I am sorry that I haven't had the opportunity to get to the Artic Ocean yet, hopefully one day I can complete the tour. And I am not cheering for someones death, but when your number is called....its your time to go. Just happens an animal did it. I am in no way a liberal, a tree hugger, or for animal rights. I actually love hunting. So lets not shoot our mouths off when we are uninformed as well. And nowhere on the video does it mention that the guy was trying to rescue the whale.

I saw on TV news

Wildcard:
OK, just to make sure I had not missed anything, I went and looked again. NO FRIKKIN NETS! You idiots kill me. So fast to point fingers without knowing JACK! You hear Japan and it HAS to be an evil commercial fisherman. Im sure he was some sort of fisherman. He was trying to help the whale, but dont let the facts cloud your fantasy.

Actually I just watched the video several times. If you look, you can see the net getting knocked around the boat, you can see it at least twice...right before it flips it is seen spread out over the side and bow which would indicate it is in use-not secured to avoid entanglement. Second...there's no mention in the video of them trying to "help" the whale. Perhaps that was in a different newscast elsewhere, do you have a link you can post to enlighten the group, rather than flaming them?

fishb0y:
Assumed since this was shown at least 4 times an hour on every news channel today other people would have seen this. Again, this is a reoccurring theme on Scuba Board... celebrating human deaths at the hands of animals.

Sorry, I don't rot my brain staring at the big silver box. I was responding to a specific comment from a previous poster, and the video that started this thread clearly shows a net in the boat and mentions nothing about a rescue...but I shall consider myself sufficiently flamed....

If you go to another source which I dont have time to refind at the moment, the whale was in shallow water and the skiff went to help chase it out back into deep water. There are liines in the boat but no net i can see. After work I will post a link to the oother source that has the info about what was going on.
"Go whales" ? How frikkin twisted are you? You people will jump on any band wagon that comes along without question won't you?

Why would you take either anthropocentric position?

Looks like the fisherman (along with several others) was trying to save the whale by herding it out of a bay:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/03/13/whale-rescue.html

Sounds like the whale didn't like being herded around (even though it was for its own good, not that it could have known) and panicked. Understandable behavior on the part of the whale, and a senseless tragedy all around.

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom