wetsuits to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are there any brands of wetsuits that I should try to avoid getting because of quality? I am looking at either an O'neill or Body Glove. Are both or either of these suitable for diving? How do i know what to look for in a wetsuit? (besides fit and comfort obviously). thanks

Are there any brands of wetsuits that I should try to avoid getting because of quality? I am looking at either an O'neill or Body Glove. Are both or either of these suitable for diving? How do i know what to look for in a wetsuit? (besides fit and comfort obviously). thanks

yes, there are wetsuits to avoid - those not specifically made for scuba diving. There are lots of wetsuits made for surfing, etc. which do not have the gas bubble injection, they have air injection. Gas injection method is what gives the wetsuit its "spring" so it compresses at depth slightly then when you surface the bubbles spring back into shape. Most wetsuits made for surfing are air injected, warm at surface only, and will compress when underwater breaking down the bubbles. These suits will not keep you warm even at the surface after a short time of diving in them. Yes, the first few dives they will do fine, but after awhile they are nothing more than a skin protection. Body Glove and O'Neill make both kinds of suits so be careful which you buy. You best bet is to buy at a Scuba shop or if you buy online, buy from a shop that sells scuba gear.

Also, remember that all wetsuits compress eventually. A nice scuba neoprene wetsuit will need to be replaced after a few years of diving because even the gas injected bubbles will start to break down.

I hope this helps!

robint:D

Based just on my experience, avoid Seaquest X-Flex wetsuits with the powdery blue fabric. Mine started to fall apart after just 25 dives. The legs fell off within 1-2 years. I've heard other divers diving that wetsuit have better luck if the fabric isn't the powder blue one. I think they changed the fabric they used after a while.

I've found that most of the light blue fabrics on wetsuits I've owned deteriorate far more quickly than the rest of the suit. I wonder if anyone else has had that experience?

...snip...wetsuits that I should try to avoid. How do i know what to look for in a wetsuit? (besides fit and comfort obviously). thanks

Avoid wetsuits that previously belonged to divers known to enjoy asparagus.

couv

yes, there are wetsuits to avoid - those not specifically made for scuba diving. There are lots of wetsuits made for surfing, etc. which do not have the gas bubble injection, they have air injection. Gas injection method is what gives the wetsuit its "spring" so it compresses at depth slightly then when you surface the bubbles spring back into shape. Most wetsuits made for surfing are air injected, warm at surface only, and will compress when underwater breaking down the bubbles. These suits will not keep you warm even at the surface after a short time of diving in them. Yes, the first few dives they will do fine, but after awhile they are nothing more than a skin protection. Body Glove and O'Neill make both kinds of suits so be careful which you buy. You best bet is to buy at a Scuba shop or if you buy online, buy from a shop that sells scuba gear.

Also, remember that all wetsuits compress eventually. A nice scuba neoprene wetsuit will need to be replaced after a few years of diving because even the gas injected bubbles will start to break down.

I hope this helps!

robint:D

Is it a specific kind of gas besides air?

as for specific gas, i am not sure for all brands ... i know waterproof uses nitrogen in its suits, and the bubbles are very small ... there really isn't much compression or loss of warmth at depth

Gas injection method is what gives the wetsuit its "spring" so it compresses at depth slightly then when you surface the bubbles spring back into shape. Most wetsuits made for surfing are air injected, warm at surface only, and will compress when underwater breaking down the bubbles. These suits will not keep you warm even at the surface after a short time of diving in them.

I don't get this. Any gas, including air, is going to compress under pressure and expand again at the surface. I don't see why there would be any difference between wetsuits for surfing and wetsuits for diving. Please explain. The only difference I have ever noticed is the surfing wetsuits seem to have better fit and more style than most diving wetsuits.

IMHO, the higher end O'neill wetsuits ("Guru" line for example) are outstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom