Wetsuits for NC diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Apologies in advance if this has been answered, but I could not find it in a search. I am recently certified, and thinking about purchasing a wetsuit. I have seen the Pinnacle Fusion 5/4 Merino lined and the Bare Arctic 7MM available for reasonable amounts, but not sure which is the better option. It seems as though 7MM might be overkill for primarily diving the Lake Norman Quarry and dives off the coast, at least from April-October. I have also seen some claim that the Pinnacles are as warm as many 7MM wetsuits. Does anybody dive either of these locally? If so, do you have any recommendations? This may be a better post in the equipment forum, but wanted local answers if possible. Thanks for your help.

5 mm will work fine for most of the NC coast diving season here. 7 would be overkill unless you plan to dive during the winter months off the coast also. For Lake Norman in the winter a 7mm or dry suit would be best. For the summer months once again a 5mm would work for most of the season. You may wish to invest in a 5/3 hood and a beanie; 5 mm gloves and 2 mm gloves; to better match the season as well.

I have 2 suits, both one piece Pinnacles. I am 6'8" 230 and the XL Tall is the only suit I have found off the rack that fits me like a glove.

Anyway, I was happy I dived my 7/5 this past weekend with 62 on the bottom at the Suloide off Morehead. (9 miles off the beach in 65 fsw).

The other Pinnacle, a 3 mil will be good in a few weeks I hope.

But here is my answer to the original question. One 7/5 suit would be good for quarries and spring and fall diving off the NC coast. If you are going to dive June-Sept, you are going to want a 3 mil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom