Wetsuits and odors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuits always produce some odor.

The neoprene "Dive Shop" smell is normal and not much to be done about it. The nasty smells from sitting wet are not normal.

From my experience the most important thing is to get the suit (and boots) dry as quickly as possible.
I use a fan system that hangs the boots toe up and blows air in at the toe so air and water come out the opening at the bottom. This makes the boots dry fast.

For the wet suit I hang it so that air can circulate inside and out and have a fan blow over it.

Getting my gear dry within 4-6 hours ment no stink.
Any gear sitting wet, overnight was major smelly!

The skunk lives!

My wife's new Atlan custom suit came today and without a doubt it reeks of skunk. This is much more skunk like than the common dive shop smell. I suspect it's just the neoprene outgassing and the pronounced smell means it's nice fresh material. Of the 8 other suits/vests we've had before none smell like this baby, I imagine it will fade.

BTW the detail and craftsmanship on this thing looks awesome and thay nailed the fit on my wife. She got the Tahoe 2 PC in full 7mm. http://atlaninc.com/docs/suits.html

Pete

I don't know about skunk in your area but in Ky they do not smell
like neoprene. My wife complains about the "normal" neoprene odor
if I leave my scuba closet open, but hey what can I say, as I hijack
a line from the movie Apocalypse Now! "I love the smell of neoprene
on the morning of a dive day."

slipslop:
what does a skunk smell like? we dont get skunks in africa. i imagine it smells like wee.

Yes you do, it's just called a Muishond.........

JUMP IN:
I have a Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit that seems to
be giving off an odor much like a skunk.

There's a product called SINK THE STINK out there. Fill your bathtub with water, add some of the product, and soak your exposure suit in it over night. Then hang it out to dry. Should do the trick. It did it well for me.

You can try the product you have, but soak it overnight as well. Enzyme based cleaners need time to work and do not activate instantly. :crafty:

True odors are caused by bacteria. Many remedies (such as Sink the Stink, Downy, etc.) are basically perfumes and do not kill the bacteria. There are a number of antibacterial agents that can be added to the wash (such as liquid Lysol) that will eliminate ALL the bacteria. You can also scrub your wetsuit with an antibacterial soap (such as Dial) which also has deoderizers in it which will help deodorize some of the neoprene smell.

Back
Top Bottom