Wetsuits 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
3. When I did take up scuba diving last year the the Arctic and companion vest were no brainers based on my 5mm suit and vest experieince.
4 Last fall I did get a drysuit and enjoyed diving through the winter. As we reach 50F I'll dust it off.

For my taste the drysuit is nice for when I need it but I much prefer the experieince of diving wet. Despite the matra of "once you dive dry you'll never want to dive wet" my experience (and that of many buddies) is that diving wet is more enjoyable.

Pete

I have the Velocity 5/4 and the Alpine Hooded 7MM. The Alpine has the same front zip as your Arctic. I considered the vest but went with the full suit after reading a number of posts re hooded suits vs. hooded vests.

I agree with your opinion on drysuits. I don't own one but I have done a number of "orientation" dives. I prefer diving wet, but I can see the appeal of the dry in bone chilling water. Most of the people I know that own them dive them all year around. This seems like a PITA to me in temperate water.

FishDiver:
I considered the vest but went with the full suit after reading a number of posts re hooded suits vs. hooded vests.

If the Alpine with the integrated hood fits you that's great. In my case it was about getting 14mm on my core as much as hood integration.

Pete

spectrum:
If the Alpine with the integrated hood fits you that's great. In my case it was about getting 14mm on my core as much as hood integration.

Pete

What is the seal like around the shoulders and legs? Is it simply a full suit with the arms and legs cut off, or is there some kind of extra sealing?

I do mostly shore dives involving crawling over rocks in the surf. Part of my rational for buying the suit over the vest was having a second set of knees to take some of the wear. Can I just chop off the legs and arms when they wear out and have the Artic vest?

Jon AKA FishDiver,

The legs od the Arctic vest run down to mid thigh with no actual seal. The suit to suit fit is under some tension so there really isn't much going on there. The arm openings have skin-in material the runs through the armpits and around the shoulder. This seems to keep good closure on that joint while not impeeding mobillity.

If you chop your Alpine just below the base of the zipper you'd have a dandy jacket to wear with a farmer John bottom. John & jacket is not my prefered configuration but in this case it's an option.

To make it into a vest to wear with an Acrtic full suit you'd also need to chop the arms off as mentioned. You would not have the seals I mentioned unless you are crafty. Depending on your personal fit you may be able to retain some sleeve, perhaps 1/2 way down the upper arm. This would be a very nice closure against the base suit. This would be getting close to what used to be the Cressi Lontra2 suit. http://cressi.it/intro.php?lang=us&id_catalogo=2&id_categoria=13&id_prodotto=91&m=scheda
That was actually my first design choice but they didn't offer it in full 7mm.

I do believe that the actual vest is overcut to complement the suit so how well this works will depend where in the range you fall.

Pete

Welcome to Texas!!!

Check out this wetsuit info from crazyscuba.com, then call them for advice. Britt has been fitting people for 21 years or so, he's really good, and can give great advice...
http://www.crazyscuba.com/helpful_information_articles.cfm

I bought my hyperstretch suits there, dumped my scubapro. It was way too hard to get in and out of! Love my hyperstretch!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
ScubaDivaDivemaster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom