• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Wetsuit thoughts for Red Sea diving in March?

Discussion in 'Apparel' started by Jennilee913, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    As others have said, the issue is more the wind than the water temperature. I have only dived the Red Sea once, in the month of January, and I brought a drysuit because having done similar research as you are doing, all this talk about the possibility of a steady wind had frightened me. All I can say is that while the other divers were shivering when we got off the RIB back at the mothership, I was happy to grab a cold drink. My wife and I were the only ones diving in drysuits--everyone else seemed to have what looked like 5 mm, often in combination with a vest.

Jennilee913 likes this.
  2. Jennilee913

Jennilee913 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thank you for the Probe Frogskin. I will look into it for this trip as well as a 7mm.

outofofficebrb likes this.
  3. Hoag

Hoag Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The thing I found is that cold is cumulative. You might be warm & toasty on the first day, but by the 4th or 5th day, you might have lost so much body heat that it seems you will never be warm again. If given a choice, I would prefer to be "a little warm" than "a little cool". Once on the boat, don't let "FOMO" or peer pressure convince you to go on dives if you genuinely feel that you should sit out a dive and warm up a little. (Unless it will be an insanely cool dive, then all bets are off. :))

Have a safe & fun trip.

Jennilee913 likes this.
  4. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I'm sure someone mentioned it, but the "cold is cumulative" issue is compounded by having to don a damp wetsuit that has been nicely chilled by that wind. I have heard that some people take two wetsuits when the weather is like that.

Jennilee913 and Hoag like this.