Wetsuit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigsnowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at wetsuits and believe I need a 7MM suit for quarry diving in the midwest and also want one for some tropical trips like Bonaire or Dominica. There are quite a few thicknesses and I can't buy them all.

I have worn, as an experiment, a 7MM suit in a pool at 82 degrees. After a couple of hours I was getting a bit cold. So, I wonder if a person could have just the 7MM suit and wear it to warm places, or is that a bad idea.

If a thinner suit is needed, what would be the one to buy, a 3 or a 5? I would like to buy only two suits.

Thoughts or experience on this?

I'll be blunt, you are looking at a neoprene wardrobe.

Some divers do actually need a 7mm in the tropics but that is an uncommonly cold intolerant diver.

Meanwhile any meaningful quarry diving means 7mm with 2X on your core.

For most a 7mm in the tropics will be uncomfortably warm. it also means you will be stuck wearing the full needed weight and getting a steel cylinder is highly unlikely. In the end you will rob your self of some of the pleasure you paid to have. For the $100 -$200 you'll spend on a lightweight suit you can be comfortable and experience a more carefree form of diving.

Pete

I'll be blunt, you are looking at a neoprene wardrobe.

Some divers do actually need a 7mm in the tropics but that is an uncommonly cold intolerant diver.

Meanwhile any meaningful quarry diving means 7mm with 2X on your core.

For most a 7mm in the tropics will be uncomfortably warm. it also means you will be stuck wearing the full needed weight and getting a steel cylinder is highly unlikely. In the end you will rob your self of some of the pleasure you paid to have. For the $100 -$200 you'll spend on a lightweight suit you can be comfortable and experience a more carefree form of diving.

Pete

I don't know what you mean by the 2X notation.

I don't know what you mean by the 2X notation.

In general cold water dive suits are in the form of a (Farmer) John and jacket or a full jumpsuit and some form of vest. Either one has you in 7mm head to toe with double thickness in the upper thighs, groin and torso areas.

More here

Pete

Choice of thickness is quite personal. Some get cold faster than others.

My suggestion is for you to decide where you will be diving for the most part. If in a cold environment, then prepare for that first.

I dive in SoCal mostly; a 5/3 hooded vest and a 7/5 mm Henderson Hyperstretch and I am good for 3 dives in upper 50s. Some dive a drysuit and I am slowly getting to understand them!

Make sure that the 7 mm fits you well. My guess is that what you tried in the pool in 82 degrees was a bit too large/loose for you. But if the fit were fine, then take that to Bonaire. But this also means that you will probably need a drysuit for the cold environment.

For Cozumel, I used a 3 mm wetsuit (same size/brand as my 7 mm) but it does not fit as well, so I add my 5/3 hooded vest to go 70+ minutes per dive. The key is the fit; not the brand, although the brand also helps a bit.

I do a bit of cold water diving wet and use a 5mm with a 3mm core warmer. This will give you a little more protection in the cold and let you remove 3mm when in warmer water. Most people dive a skin, 3mm shorty, or 3mm full suit in warm water. If you buy a 3mm shorty you could use it as a core warmer when diving colder water with a 5mm.

Choice of thickness is quite personal. Some get cold faster than others.

My suggestion is for you to decide where you will be diving for the most part. If in a cold environment, then prepare for that first.

I dive in SoCal mostly; a 5/3 hooded vest and a 7/5 mm Henderson Hyperstretch and I am good for 3 dives in upper 50s. Some dive a drysuit and I am slowly getting to understand them!

Make sure that the 7 mm fits you well. My guess is that what you tried in the pool in 82 degrees was a bit too large/loose for you. But if the fit were fine, then take that to Bonaire. But this also means that you will probably need a drysuit for the cold environment.

For Cozumel, I used a 3 mm wetsuit (same size/brand as my 7 mm) but it does not fit as well, so I add my 5/3 hooded vest to go 70+ minutes per dive. The key is the fit; not the brand, although the brand also helps a bit.

I think the fit of the 7MM suit was good. It was a 3XL. I could get a 2XL on, but zipping it caused me to feel my should blades were being pressed together. I am not real big, at 225 lb. and 6' 1-1/2".

What does 5/3 mean with regard to the vest?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom