Wetsuit Thickness for Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lottifish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going diving in Maui in September and was wondering what thickness of wetsuit would be appropriate. I'm from southern california so I'm used to cold water diving and don't get cold easily.

Thanks,
Charlotte

Depends on the time of year.
We went in Feb and water temps where in the low 70's. After a 2 hour dive I was getting cold in my one piece full 5mm suit.

A 3mm should be ok in September, but if you will be doing a lot of dives, you may want to bring some extra layers just in case.

Charlotte, I always go in late September and the water temp is consistently around 79-80 degrees. I wear my 3mm and am just fine but I do find that I can get cold if I'm doing more than 2 dives a day.

I've done live aboard diving off Kona in April and June. June was nice with a 3mm, April was COLD with a 3mm.

Kauai in February and March can be cold in my 3mm, so I just sprung for a 5mm to take care of the problem during the winter months.

Hope that helps.

Whatever suit you bring (Full 3 or 5 mil recommended) also bring a hood - that way if you find you need a bit more you are covered (pun intended)... and a hood takes up very little space in the suitcase.

You will find folks over here diving year round in everything from swim trunks to 7mil and even a few drysuit divers. One of the funniest sights I've seen was 2 divers sitting next to each other on a boat, one in speedo's and the other in a drysuit ... both were fine after 2 hour long dives.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom